Chapter 44

Everything was a blur as people did their best to get me to the hospital. Jaxon actually somehow beat Vanessa to the house. He and Patrick worked together to get me to my feet--although, not really since I couldn’t even stand on one of them. But they held up and struggled to get me up the stairs since my right arm was totally out of commission. And the unbearable pain in my ribs proved it increasingly difficult to lift me.

It was nearly a miracle that they even got me up the stairs, but I paid a heavy price for it. It was impossible for them to move me without hurting my upper body, so I had no choice but to endure the pain while they carried me as gently as they could.

By then, Vanessa was waiting with her minivan in the driveway and without even stopping--which actually made it better in the long run--they put me right into the vehicle and shut the door once I was settled in.

Vanessa and Aria were a frantic mess so Patrick rode in the van with Vanessa and me while Jaxon took Aria to the hospital in his own car. It successfully made the atmosphere incredibly calmer. I was too busy trying to steady my breathing while my tears dried that I didn’t do any talking. That didn’t deter Vanessa from asking panicked questions every three seconds or Patrick from cooing reassurances at me.

I was positive my aunt sped because what should have taken over ten minutes to get there only took a little more than five. Vanessa pulled the van up to the front doors where the drop off area was and parked. She was out of the car and running into the hospital to get somebody to help us.

Patrick jumped out of his side of the vehicle and ran around to stand beside me. A minute later, Jaxon and Aria were running hand-in-hand over to us from the parking lot.

Patrick had one of his hands lightly on my knee and the other brushing my hair from my finally dried eyes. “Hey, are you doing okay?” he whispered.

I nodded slightly. “Yeah, I’m alright.”

“There’s my mom,” Aria told me with a wry smile.

“I got the wheelchair!” Vanessa screeched.

If circumstances were different I probably would have laughed at how crazy she looked, pushing the empty chair over to us at top speed. Her hair was flying everywhere and her expression was what made me laugh anyway. Which I soon regretted because it sent shooting pain everywhere. But Vanessa looked hilarious and I loved her for it.

“Oh God, she’s gone crazy,” Jaxon muttered.

I laughed again, the sound quickly transforming into a whimper of regret. That caused Patrick to turn an evil glare at the soccer player on my behalf. Aria snorted in amusement but she smacked her boyfriend in the stomach anyway to show the disappointment her eyes weren’t conveying.

“Sorry,” Jaxon said. He looked at me and offered a pitiful smile. “You’ll be okay, Caise. Hang in there.”