Thirty-Nine |

Thirty-Nine |

After a night's rest, I was feeling energetic and recharged. Which was perhaps a mistake, because it seemed Orris clung onto this like a blood thirty bat when he demanded we do a different sort of training today which included running around the island and lifting heavy boxes above my head. 

"Again," he commanded. 

My arms ached and shook as I lifted the box, my cheeks puffed out and I'm sure my face was bright red. Finally, I dropped the box, spinning to face him with my hands on my hips. He looked at me up and down before frowning. 

"What are you wearing?" he demanded. "A corset and a skirt is not acceptable to be training in. Did you run in that? That's quite silly."

My brow twitched. "You know I did. Why is it you're only now speaking on it?"

Perhaps I was the silly one to have dressed in a skirt and corset today for training, but I thought it'd be good practice to prepare for the dance. What an utter fool I was! I thought he'd have me summon some crystals or grow some more flowers—this was not what I expected. 

"Well as a woman, I suppose there's no helping it." He shrugged. 

I watched him carefully. "Duke of Thistle, are you trying to piss me off?"

He hummed; those brown eyes as sharp as a cat's. "Such vulgar language, have you been replaced in the night by a hoodlum? Or perhaps you've become a bad lady of Arianne?" 

A frown plucked onto my lips. "I don't know what a bag lady is."

"Perhaps you are Ciara Roisin after all." 

Why did that sound like an insult? 

"Ara!" We both turned to where Aldrich wandered across the training yard. "There you are—why are you training in a skirt and corset?" 

I pinched the bridge of my nose. Goodness. 

"I'm just a fool," I groaned. 

He patted my hair. "Do not worry, we all have our days." 

I held back the urge to punch him, a tinge of guilt rising in my chest. My actions yesterday...at the time they seemed completely reasonable and now, I was full of guilt and shame. Why did I kill Aurora? Certainly, the woman deserved it and at the time I had told myself if I did not take her life, she would take mine one day and yet, could I really believe such a thing? Now, there was no way of knowing for sure and that only made me feel worse. 

"Aldrich," I whispered softly. "Were you close to your mother?" 

He paused, glancing at me. "My mother? It's hard to say. I suppose she was always a good mentor as the queen but aside from that we didn't have a family bond." 

That made me feel less worse. 

"However, Kahuna was quite close to her." 

My heart sank. "She was?" 

"Yes. Actually, Kahuna wished to be a fae hunter when she grew older."

"I-is that so?" 

He scratched his chin. "Until the fae disappeared after Mother's death. That gave her the new determination to become a general. She's good at it too, wouldn't you say?" 

I groaned with inner turmoil. "Wonderful."

"Why the sudden interest?" His tone was curious. 

My shoulders shrugged. "After yesterday of course I'm curious." 

"Right," he hummed, leaning down to eye level with me. "Let's go for a walk."

"A walk?" 

"Yes. A walk to make amends."

Despite how my legs protested, I eagerly followed after him. 

We walked for a good while—until our legs brought us to the main bridge in which with a single nod to the guards, they allowed us to pass. I frowned. How they had stopped me so easily and now they let us pass. It wasn't fair; not in the slightest. Aldrich didn't seem to notice my soured mood, which was for the best. An ocean breeze blew past me, tangling my brown locks and I could almost smell the sweat that clung to my skin. 

I didn't feel particularly beautiful today. Bandages hid my secrets and the corset was so tight it felt as though my ribs had permanently distorted to fit it's mold and my boots were certainly not made for running. I felt sour and hideous. My hair weighed in a ponytail down my back and my back ached so bad there was a hunch in my shoulders. 

My eyes slid to Aldrich, and I felt envious. Even after all that's happened, he looked fresh and beautiful. Expensive. I bit back a chuckle. The Prince of Neorian may be expensive but there was no higher price than the one over my head.         

"Ara," he said softly. 

My humor drained away. "Yes?"

"It'll be a feat to get them to glow."

I blinked slowly. It took me a moment to realize he was speaking of the criostalan cridhe. My gaze shifted to look at the two giant rocks that were positioned in the water and I nodded, anxiety filling my stomach like moldy bread. I had been so distracted that the weight of my true goal with the dance had become pushed to the very back of my mind. However, now staring at the crystals, I felt my fate ever more intimidating. 

"Mhm," was the only reply I could muster. 

He turned to me. "I wish to apologize."

What? "Apologize?"

"Yes. We lied to you," he sighed, grabbing my hand and holding it tightly as if afraid I'd disappear. "And despite our intentions, keeping such a truth from you wasn't fair. It wasn't right. We were supposed to make you feel welcome and we failed you." 

We failed you. 

Tears collected in my eyes. "Oh Aldrich..."

"It'll take a clear mind to do the dance," he continued. "You can't have any remorse in your heart. Father thinks nothing will happen, but Huna and I know the truth. We know you have Jerrik's strength, his magic. We know you can do it." 

For some strange reason my tears dried up. 

"I'll make them glow," I told him. "I'll active them." 

He smiled, a bright smile. "I know you will. You're so strong you have Father nervous."

"Nervous?" I repeated. 

"He thinks you'll kill us and take the throne. It's strange, all my life I've known that Kahuna is the one that should be on the throne not me, and now, I'm sure it's supposed to be you. You're the rightful ruler after all."

"He will wear the necklace and he will become king!" 

I looked away and back at those damn crystals. "Your family did everything to make sure you sit on the throne. Your mother died because of that dream." 

"And yet, it was as if karma is reminding us of our sins."

My eyes met his and for a moment I could only stare at him closely. There was so much emotion in those brown eyes. It frightened me. They looked exactly like Aurora Walden's eyes and mirrored the exact same emotions. Sadness, determination and fear. 

"Aldrich," I whispered softly. "Do you want to be King?" 

His eyes widened and we were both silent for a long moment, then he turned away. 

"It's getting late, we should head back."

I learned a lot of truths about my cousin... 

...It was as if he'd shown me the patches sewn to his glass heart.