Eight |

Eight |

I returned back to the library. Walking among the many, many shelves. I felt closer to him than ever before. I could practically feel Father within these shelves, each book hummed with knowledge. I ran my finger over the spines, reading the delicate titles and imagining how Father must had looked as he read each one. Did he sit at the table? Or perhaps, he'd stand right where they belonged. I drew my attention to one book: a leather bound book. It took two hands to pull it off the shelf, and I read the title. The Apostle's guide to Natural Philosophy. I took it to the table, my fingers running over the silver words of the cover.

Opening the book, I looked at the first page. Within the pages was a small metal bookmark. When I touched it, I winced. Pulling my fingers back carefully, my forehead burned.

"Iron."

My eyes widened and I looked up. My father—I think it was my father. He was so young, my age if not younger. He leaned against the shelf, the book in both hands and the bookmark on top. I looked towards the doorway where a younger Edric stood. The two looked completely different. Father was dressed in a black tunic, black slacks and knee high boots and Edric was dressed much like how Aldrich dresses.

"Each book has an iron bookmark, why?" Father questioned.

"They were a gift from Aurora," Edric replied with a smile, "It seems my betroth gives you more gifts than me. I'm a little jealous, I must admit."

Aurora—I knew that name. According to the books, Aurora Albion was the Queen. She'd died due to an illness not long after Kahuna was born. Edric hadn't remarried and it was both men who'd raised Aldrich and Kahuna. The story was a sad one. It was strange to see such a scene that outdated even my mother.

"You know it's because I don't like her," Father replied, "And I do not like her anti-fae meddling. Remove the bookmarks. They are not welcome in my library."

I could feel the tears fall from my eyes and onto the table. My father knew of fae and even supported them? Something warm filled my heart and I reached out towards him before stopping myself. I looked towards Edric who sighed heavily.

"Some secrets should be protected," he whispered, "Others should be buried and sealed away. She has the land's interest in mind. Remember what they did to our parents."

"Remember what our parents did to them," Father retorted bitterly, "Neither side was blameless and I won't turn my back on those who've been kind to me simply because of vengeance. I will protect Pheonira."

"That's your choice," Edric muttered, "Even if it isn't the right one."

"Remind your woman," Father grunted, "It's my choice as King."

I let out a squeak, my eyes widened in shock. As I did, Father's eyes moved over to me—surprise falling on his face and just like that the vision was gone. I rubbed the sides of my head carefully, my brain aching terribly. It seemed that Father had seen me. It seemed that Father had also called himself the king. Something didn't add up, Edric had been throned right after his parent's death, so why did Father refer to himself as the King?

Perhaps I misheard.

I looked down at my book. If Father was aligned with the fae then perhaps a fae could shed some light onto this question. I closed my eyes and focused my mind on the person I wished to see. Clasping my fingers together, I called out for him.

"Oberon," I whispered.

Nothing but silence greeted me. My wrist tingled but not even Ebby revealed himself. I opened my eyes with a frown and casted my gaze across the dim library. I was angry—beyond angry. He promised to be there for me and yet where was he when Fionn murdered the king? Or when I was hiding in a trunk and being smuggled out of the land? I felt betrayed.