Thirty-Four |

Thirty-Four |

Either Father had lied, or Fionn had been born far before this or...

...Fionn wasn't my blood.

I was the one and only child of the former king Jerrik Albion.

I awoke with no memory of returning to my bed, nor memory of leaving the area in front of the dungeon. When I asked Orris what had occurred, it seemed he did not know either. With time running low, I decided not to question the oddity and instead focused on what I needed to do. Afterall, only three days remained before I was to do the dance and I needed to speak to Uncle about the truth and I had to go into the dungeon and see whatever other secrets remained for myself.

My head ached with the burden of what must be done.

I binded my breasts with cloth and dressed in a pair of loose emerald pants, a short cream coloured tunic and a black and silver corset. I pulled on my riding boots before pulling my dirt locks back into a horse tail. This was my court armor. I may be no soldier, but I suppose no soldier could win at the games of court. I caught my reflection in the mirror and smiled. The woman in the mirror was attractive, freckles like flecks of the sun, circular forest green eyes—I was the perfect Neorian daughter.

And yet, Neorian had failed me and my family.

I walked with purpose down the hall and towards the throne room. Guards glanced at me curiously but I had no words to give them. I'm sure anyone could see the smile on my face was false but it did well enough to hide my brimming anger. When I reached the throne room, I didn't bother greeting the two guards stationed, instead, I moved past them, shoving the doors open with a burst of magic.

"Lady Roisin!" One guard cried.

Both reached for their swords which only solidified my time here was nothing more than play. As I stepped into the large room, King Edric Albion rose from his chair. To his left was Aldrich and to his right was Kahuna. My chest tightened. It was good that the whole family was here for this, it made things easier.

"Little cousin, what is the meaning of this?" Albion chuckled nervously.

"Leave us," I murmured to the two guards.

They hesitated.

"Leave us," I snarled, magic lacing my words.

The two did without a peep, slipping back out the room like loyal soldiers. I turned and stared at Aldrich and Kahuna, comparing the two. It was obvious now on many fronts. How Kahuna seemed so mature and beyond her years. How she carried herself like a general—like a failed King—and Aldrich seemed not to care about positions. He dressed in larger clothing doused in wealth and riches as if hiding behind his title.

I dropped my gaze. How could I be so blind? Blinded by the prospect of family that I never considered I had been a pawn all along. I'm sure both Aldrich and Kahuna cared for me, but Edric didn't know me. All he knew was I was the failure of his past.

The true King's heir.

Father was fine with putting a woman on the throne, Edric was not.

Was that the true reason he forced Father out?

Ah, the truth was ever so bitter.

Aurora Walden wanted the throne. When she realized it was not Edric's she had tried to seduce my father and when that didn't work, she became pregnant with a royal son. Something that Father did not have. Anger laced through my magic and it became a task to keep it stifled.