Forty |

Forty |

The dance was to happen in just three more days and I was slowly grow more and more anxious. Once Aldrich and I had returned yesterday, I all but ran back to my room to practice the dance moves in my lonesome—with Ebby to judge me of course. The little mushroom friend seemed to be not very helpful as he clapped whether I tripped or succeeded in a move. Eventually, I was so exhausted there was nothing left to do but bathe, sleep and await the morning and the morning arrived all too soon.

"You don't eat enough," Kahuna critiqued.

I glanced up from my plate of fruits. "You think so?"

The morning had been rather quiet. It was just Kahuna and Orris joining me at breakfast. I would have preferred to eat alone however; I knew I couldn't avoid the Albion's forever. Especially Kahuna. She was to train my dance after all and yet, I couldn't help but be nervous in her presence. Whether it was because I knew she wished to be a fae hunter or because I knew she had been close to Aurora I wasn't sure.

"I know so," she hummed, pointing to my plate.

I frowned. Normally I didn't eat breakfast—well, I suppose I didn't have a normal. In the Red Village I rarely ate at all, and in Ipuina I drank more teas and indulged in sweets with Eliza. A cold pang went through my heart, and I wondered how she would be fairing. I hoped Rose would continue to keep her safe. After all, I could only imagine how cruel the Queen was being.

"Are you listening to me?"

My eyes slid to her where the lie was easy. "Of course."

Her eyes rolled. "You're a terrible liar. Orris said your strength was weak and now I see why. Cousin, you cannot win a war when you're running on pear slices and apples. You should have some meat. A whole cow at that."

A small smile pulled onto my lips. "I will eat more later. I promise."

"Fine," she placed a piece of meat to her lips, her eyes sharp. "Then promise when you leave you will eat at least thrice a day. I will accept no less."

Orris put his fork down. "You're leaving?"

"Huna, I cannot possibly promise that," I argued. "I may very well be on the run when I leave. I may not have the food to eat so often. I may have to ration less."

She smirked. "Then you ought to stay."

I sighed. "So, Aldrich has said as well."

"Why are you leaving?" Orris demanded.

I ignored him. "But you know I cannot stay. Not after all that's--"

"Pig shit."

My jaw tumbled open.

Kahuna nodded. "That's right. I said it. That is pig shit. You know our truth now; you know our intention and our betrayal and still you haven't demanded anything from us. You're one of us. You ought to stay."

"Huna," I whispered, the fruit heavy in my stomach. "I am my father's daughter. I wish to see a world where the fae can return and live in peace."

She was quiet for a moment, her eyes on me.

"Wait a moment," Orris demanded, bringing his fist down. "You're leaving? Why?"

I glanced at him before waving him off. "The story is too long to tell."

He frowned. "I thought we were friends."

My shoulders shrugged. "I killed you once. In my dreams."