NINE |

NINE |

The heir prince closed the door behind Loli's escape. 

"You will not speak to him in that tone," Prince Erik said coldly. 

My eyes narrowed and I forgot status, "And who are you to step between us? You do not get to pretend to know anything about my brother and my relationship. You are an outsider."

"Is that so?" Prince Erik mused, a cold grin on his face, "Do you know who you speak of? Fionn's sister or not, I will not allow such disrespect. Perhaps I should punish you." 

Fionn stepped between us, "Ara please. I-I know I should not have left that day but I do not regret doing so. I worked hard to make a life for myself here, so you could have one here as well. I have done all of this for you." 

"While ignoring me for years?" I laughed bitterly, "Allowing Mama to die?" 

"That is enough!" Prince Erik snarled, a sudden wind pushing me back. 

I stumbled, and Fionn reached forward, catching me before I could fall. I let out a cry of shock and hurt, the scent of magic in the air. Prince Erik was an air elemental, no doubt the push was a product of his anger. I could feel a cut stinging on my cheek. His wind had cut me. 

"I-I sent what money I could," Fionn whispered, wiping my cut with his thumb, "I saved what I could too. Everything I did, I did for you and yet you never replied to my letters." 

Tears collected in my eyes, "W-What are you talking about? You stopped sending us money. You never sent letters. Why are you lying?"

"What?" he looked genuinely shocked, "N-No that's not true." 

I blinked away my tears, "You never sent anything." 

The pitcher on my table shattered and I let out a yelp. This time I knew it was Fionn's anger. The water turned to ice then shattered into millions of pieces. I stepped back wiping at my cut with a deep frown on my face. I was no longer angry but simply confused. 

"Fionn," Erik said slowly, "It seems you were betrayed." 

My brother nodded, his face void of any emotions, "It would seem so." 

The tension in the room was terrifying. The air was so cold, I felt the hair on my arms rise, the cold almost choking me. I shivered, and Fionn's attention snapped back to me. As quickly as it came, the cold was gone and he smiled brightly, his grey eyes still as cold as ice. 

"I sent a messenger one a month," he then said softly, caressing my cheek, "The same messenger each time who had told me you and mother were doing alright. It would seem that not only did he lie, but also stole what was yours." 

I bit my lip, not fully believing him, "Oh." 

"You have no reason to trust my words and I will make it up to you," he whispered, "I promise you I will win back your trust and I will be the brother you deserve." 

My eyes shifted away from him slowly. 

There was a knock at my door again. 

This time, Eliza's voice soaked through, "Fionn? Are you in there with Erik? Erik, why is it you have scared Ciara's lady-in-waiting half to death? I swear if you're giving my guest any grief I will not hesitate to ruin your day utterly!"  

"Fionn will you escort my sister to your lunch?" Erik grunted. 

My brother hesitated, his eyes still on me. 

"I'm fine," I sighed, "I must fix my face." 

He nodded slowly, "I'll see you at lunch?" 

Then he left. As my eyes rose, I frowned at the prince who seemed content on glaring at me from across the way. For a moment I shifted from foot to foot before the silence and the silly glaring became all too much. 

"Why are you glaring at me?" I then asked. 

He didn't blink, "Because I am furious." 

"It is not my fault your messenger stole from you," I muttered, touching the cut on my face before I flinched at the sting, "Some would say you cannot control your anger."

"All would say that," he replied before stepping forward, "And those who did not would be utter fools. It is the perk of being heir I suppose. Or perhaps the perk of being powerful."

I took a step back as he took a step forward, "W-What are you doing?" 

He rose his hands and I flinched, shutting my eyes. However, no blow came. When I peeled my eyes open carefully, I was staring right at his palms. A warm breeze tickled my cut and slowly, the pain melted away. It took me a moment to realize he had healed my cut. Only the most talented elementals could heal but knowing he could was no surprise. 

"Why?" I whispered. 

His hands fell, "Think nothing of it. I hurt you and I should not have. However, if you ever speak to me or my friend like that again, brother or not, I will not hesitate to bend you over that bed and spank you until your rump is raw." 

I squeaked, my eyes wide, "E-Excuse me?"

"Do not look surprised," he replied with a cocky grin, "You must know how attractive you look in such attire. Although, I must say you ought to stop wearing my sister's clothing. Your breasts are much too round for that corset." 

I gasped, "Y-you pig!" 

The heir prince was a pervert!

"A pig?" he mused, stepping away and turning to the wardrobe, "Careful love, unless you do truly wish to be bent over. I'd gladly oblige but your brother might get mad at me. I am the heir prince, you must show your respect. Take my arm, we must be off to lunch now." 

I didn't move. 

He rolled his eyes, grabbing a shawl out of the wardrobe and turning back to me. My brow rose, and he offered me the shawl patiently. Despite his piggish ways, I could not help the blush on my cheeks as I took it, recalling his words about my breasts. 

"T-Thank you," I muttered. 

He hummed, now holding out his arm, "I simply do not want gossip about Fionn's mystery sister dressing like a whore nor being treated as such. There is already enough gossip about your status. You are a noble due to your brother, but they all know you're coming from nothing. All eyes will be on you Lady Roisin, remember that." 

I swallowed and took his arm, "Yes, your highness." 

"Good girl," he mused. 

I held back the urge to elbow him, "I am not a girl."

"No, you are not," he replied simply. 

Now I scowled, "My prince, for a man who seems to only know anger, your blood rushes much too often from your head." 

He snickered at that.