Seventeen |

Seventeen |

"Little sister," Aldrich followed me out of the shop, "Wait!"

But I couldn't—I could not, knowing that Erik had brought trouble to this land. Phoenix appeared at my side, trotting along to my pace and I thanked my friend before mounting her back quickly. As I did, Aldrich grabbed my wrist gently.

"Please," he whispered, his eyes flickering around us, "Wait."

It occurred to me now that his appearance was suspicious. He did not seem surprised by Lory Braxton's words, nor panicked at all. As if he'd known all along. My eyes flickered across him, anger filling me and my forehead burning where the circlet sat. I could feel it; the circlet was making an attempt to tell me something. A new power just beneath it's mark.

So I gave into it. Allowing such magic to spark through my flesh and fill me. It was hot and powerful and I gave into it. It moved over my skin slowly, that warm power—it could only be comparable to the sensation of lust—and yet this was all the sweeter.  

"Tell me the truth," I demanded, magic flowing through me.

His eyes widened and for a minute they dulled, "Prince Bram Yarrow came this morning with two elementals. They had the request that you be turned over, if denied war is certain. Both elementals were executed, and Prince Yarrow has been taken into custody. We are still deciding whether to kill him and send him back or to keep him as a hostage. However, he isn't worth much as a hostage. It will only buy us time."

I snapped out of the magic-lust I felt and disgust filled me. Had I just done that? I had done something to Aldrich, something terrible. It felt as though I'd manipulated his very mind but such a thing was impossible. And yet, guilt sat in my stomach like a rock.

"Aldrich I—" I began looking back to him.

He blinked once, then twice before confusion settled on his face, "W-what was I saying?"

"Nothing," I lied, like the coward I was, "You said nothing."

"Right. Do not go. Allow me to explain everything," his voice was quiet.

I offered him a small smile, "Forgive me cousin."

With that, I urged Phoenix forward. We took for Rosluchait bridge and as we did, my own anger of the situation flared around me. I carelessly allowed my magic to warm us both and the forest sensed my anger and it reacted accordingly. Sapping at my free-flowing magic like that of a nursing creature. It eased my anger but only slightly. Trees around us grew and the moss under Phoenix' hooves parted allowing for faster movement.

This was my potential, I realized with a bitter smirk.

I could control a forest with my anger and Orris demanded me to calm it? It seemed like an insane thought. In fact, I could see clearly what a little anger could do—imagine what all my anger could do! Before I could further give into these thoughts, we had reached the bridge, and I did not allow myself to slow for the guards. Thankfully, it seemed Kahuna had told them that I was allowed to do as I pleased because they did not stop me.

Moving through the castle city however, was much different. I could not keep my speed due to the nobles moving around us and even as we slowed, I could feel the eyes on us as we moved through the castle city and when we reached the keep. My stomach dropped lower as the white and gold carriage decorated with golden roses stood. Before Phoenix' hooves halted, I slid off her back and began running for the throne room.

I panted, reaching the large doors only to pause. Orris stood at their closed surface, talking to another guard. Both turned to me as I approached, and by now I had calmed enough to pull my magic back to me. I looked at Orris coldly.