Eleven |

Eleven |

            All around us were blue crystals of all sizes. They were beautiful and glowing with a dim light. That was not all however: I could feel the pulse of magic. Fae magic. It wasn't just all around us but it was in the very roots of these crystals which only deepened my confusion. Elementals could not have this fae magic—not this pure. I looked towards Kahuna curiously.

            "Were these tunnels made by fae?" I asked.

            She smiled slightly, "Yes and no."

            I followed after her, waiting for an answer. Eventually, I forgot the original question. We came to a large empty opening. All around us on the walls and the ceiling the same crystals grew but that was all. There was nothing here but thick and pulsing fae magic. It was cold and drew bumps up my arms and yet, I'd never seen something as such before. 

            "This is incredible," I gasped loudly.

            "Uncle called this place the Cave of Grue."

            "Grue?" 

            "Yes, what you see around us are blue emeralds."

            I frowned, well that did not make a lick of sense. Emeralds were green in nature—how could they also be blue? My mind whirled at this information. Suppose what she said was in fact the truth then what did that have to do with fae magic? I was much too intellectually stunted for this sort of knowledge.

            "Please do explain," I murmured.

            She chuckled, "I'm not sure myself. However, it is this land's most valuable gem. We do not know how it came to be—whether a gift from the fae long ago, or a creation by our first earth elemental however, we do know one thing."

            I moved over to the wall, my fingers brushing against the tip of a large blue emerald. It was as if a magical force pushed back against my skin, warm to the touch. It seemed almost familiar and yet, whenever I clung to the feeling, such familiarity disappeared.

            "Which is?" I murmured.

            She grimaced slightly, "It is fae magic that keeps these walls up, and the same magic that allows us royals the ability to call upon crystals."

            I blinked, turning to face her, "W-what do you mean?"

            "Orris tells me you're able to briefly use crystals. You're untrained in the art so it's normal that you can only use the crystals on castle grounds."

            "You make it seem like the crystals aren't created like our other earth abilities," I chuckled nervously, "but summoned like..."

            Like a marked bond.

            She hesitated for a moment, "H-how much do you know of fae?"

            More than enough.

            "I know my fair share."

            "Very well," she mused, holding her hand out—palm down, "There are cases where fae make a pact with humans and elementals. In these cases, we are considered "marked" individuals. The crystals can only be conjured by us because they have our entire blood line marked. What I'm telling you Ara, is the crystals are alive."

            Shock filled me and I took a small step back, "Pardon?"

            The crystals were alive—that meant they were not merely a fae creation but a type of fae. I didn't know what type, but I knew what we saw as these crystals could not be all of it. It clicked in my head suddenly, what these crystals reminded me of. They were exactly like the mushrooms that Ebby made—brimming with fae magic and life. A small lump formed in my throat and I dropped my gaze down to the floor.

"These crystals are fae is what I'm saying," she said, "The existence of fae still exist."

And the fae who has been bonded to our blood must still be around and very close—close enough that their crystals have thrived for so long under the castle ground. I looked back to her and realized that for her—she'd just dropped a life-time shock. So, I put my best acting on and I let out a loud gasp, dramatically dropping to my knees. I could practically feel Ebby's laughter tingle on the flesh of my wrist.

"T-that's impossible!" I cried.

Kahuna rushed over, concern filling her to a point that I almost felt guilty for my trickery. She kneeled down to my level on one knee, pressing her hands to mine in a tight and comforting fashion that made her seem all the more knightly. My heart melted with her devotion, and I could feel tears prick in my eyes—this time with guilt.

"Huna," I whispered.

She smiled, "Do not worry. We've known about them—we always have. However, we know the fae behind this bond cannot hurt us, and has been under our order."

I did not like the force behind her tone, "So you know the fae?"

"It cannot hurt us," she said warmly, "None of them can. You need not fear."

Then it dawned on me—like old fish stew in the stomach—she believes I fear due to my father's curse. Instantly, disappointment filled me. They knew about fae and believed them to be dangerous creatures. That was worse than the ignorance of not knowing about their existence.

"The curse was made by a fae. We do not know if it was ordered by another land or one whom wished to curse uncle but we will find out and when we do, we will make both the fae and the land in question punish," her voice hardened as she spoke, "And we will protect you. Always. This I give you my word." 

All I could do was force a smile, "Thank you."

It hurt to know that I didn't mean it.

"Suppose we should head back?" she mused.

I nodded my head, "We shall."

As we slipped from the cave, it felt like I was missing something. There was something in this cave that I felt as if I should notice or an epiphany moment and yet nothing came to me. A spark of disappointment filled me as we ascended back up the steps. As we did, I could feel the magic within the cave attaching to me, the wisps tangling around my every limb as it pulled with desperation. I almost didn't leave—I could hardly; the more steps we climbed, the less those wisps of magic could hold onto me. As we reached the top step, I could practically see the final strands pull off me and disappear into the air. I took a small breath.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

The smile on my face was fake but genuine, "Yes, I believe I am."

That heavy feeling in my heart told me it was lies.