Thirty |

Thirty |

The wolf scars didn't fade—in fact, it seems quite the opposite. The scars faded to golden, ragged marks over not only my arms, but my torso and my legs too. They reminded me much of Ebby's fae mark or the mark of the circlet on my forehead. Thus, I turned to wrapping almost my entire body in wraps before dressing in a tunic with long, pale forest sleeves and a pair of long, flowing pants. Then I squeezed into a pretty deep emerald corset that had black and silver embellishments before pulling on my boots. Facing myself in the mirror, I was overcome with both sorrow and delight.

Warrior marks.

I pulled my earthly locks back into a high tail with a green ribbon, and flexed my fingers. I felt as confidant as a stag—which was good. I'd need all the confidence I could get when Kahuna taught me the dance today. Even the thought of it had my heart throbbing like an unkept volcano just ready to burst.

It was just yesterday that I was stuck in an eternal loop of torture and death and now, I'd be learning how to dance as to make giant crystals glow. My lips twitched—it was all so humorous in many different ways. Things that now seemed important lost their shine and glamor.

"What's on your mind little one?"

I paused, looking at my handsome fae whom had appeared on my bed. I smiled slightly as he lounged on the soft furs. His hands were tucked behind his head in a casual way, but I knew better to make such an assumption from the way those golden orbs stared deeply into my soul.

I looked back to the mirror carefully, my cheek heating.

Such a gaze could have a woman feeling a certain way.

"I do not know if I'm much of a dancer," I murmured.

"Did your king not say the dance doesn't matter?"

My eyes flickered to him once more. I've known my fae has more information than he reveals, but it's always a surprise when he makes such knowledge known. I fiddled with my ponytail as a means to delay responding to his question.

"And yet I find myself seeking perfection."

"You do not have to seek far for that."

I dropped my hand and giggled. "You flatter me so."

He was behind me suddenly. One hand wrapped around my stomach, the other to wrap around the top of my neck, his fingers holding the bottom of my chin. Butterflies became rampant in my stomach, and I held a small smile. Never before was Oberon so clingy, had my almost drowning yesterday truly worried him?

"If I were flattering you, I'd tell you sweet words for the purpose of you devour," he murmured. "I am not doing that darling. I'm telling you the truth. Worrying of dances is beneath you. You may not dance and still, your beauty and power would be sufficient to light the entire kingdom. Look upon your reflection."

I did. His fingers tightened to force my chin up.

"Even such reflection does not do justice. Whether the criostalan cridhe glows or moves is your choice. It is always your choice, but that choice is not to be picked upon lack of ability. Your ability needs not to be questioned. The dance, is not important."

A sweet sigh left my lips. "You're right."

"Of course, I am. I have a knack for the truth."

"Is that why you've come?" I hummed, knowing there was more he wished to say. "To soothe my nerves of dancing? That's awfully kind of you."

Those golden orbs caught my attention of the mirror. "It is not."

Anxiety rolled through me.

"Your companion fetched me yesterday. Had he not—"

"I would be fine," I soothed.

His eyes narrowed. "I fear you're lying. I fear you've become involved in something far beyond even your abilities, little one. Perhaps I should take blame for assisting in such an obsession but—"

"Obsession?" Anger sparked through me. "I am trying to do better for the fae!"

"With the path you're on what is the cost for that?"

Oberon spoke calm and collect; his tone was soft and almost sorrow filled. That only made me angrier. I gritted my teeth, turning on my heels to be pressed against him. His hands dropped to my hips, and I stared up at him, those sharp cheek bones and long locks almost distracting me. Almost.

"You wish for me to do what then? Give up?"

"No."

I give off a bitter laugh. "Then what? Slow down? There is a war being waged."

"Which is why you must slow," he murmured, leaning down to press his forehead to mine. "I will follow you to the ends of this world. If you wished, I'd turn it red. If you wished to destroy my kind, I'd assist you but what I will not do is stand by and allow you to destroy yourself. This game you're playing...it's far too dangerous and I fear you are not taking such danger seriously."

I hated that he cared so deeply.

"Perhaps then, you are not the one to assist me," I whispered, shutting my eyes. "I cannot have a fae whom would draw blood against their own for the sake of my life."

He froze. "Is that what you wish?"

No. "Yes."

"Very well."

He was gone before my eyes opened and I laughed sourly at that.

Shortly after Oberon's encounter, I found Kahuna in the ball room. The moment I stepped into the ballroom, I paused. My eyes widened—it wasn't often that I saw Kahuna in gowns so this was an unexpected surprise. The gown was beautiful on her. It complimented her olive skin, the gown's black layers rippled with every move she took, the silver lacing that covered the dress looked as though it was glowing.

She moved around the space gracefully. As if she'd been made of water, flowing across the marble floor while she danced. If my attention was tangible, it would be tightly grasped in her hands. There was no music and yet, that only seemed to make her movements all the more beautiful. Such royal grace left no place for anyone to question Kahuna's status nor ability. Once she stopped, her gaze dropped before lifting towards me. I stumbled forward, clapping unsure how one should react to such a momentless performance.

"Kahuna," I gushed. "That was amazing!"

She smiled. "Thank you. Are you ready to learn the steps?"

Anxiety filled me. "I-I couldn't dare to be as good as you."

"Nonsense," she laughed. "Dancing is just a combination of movements far less useful than the combinations of combat. If it helps, do imagine you're on the battle field."

I blinked slowly.

"Or not." A frown crossed her lips before she waved me off. "Do not worry. You'll do fine cousin. You have a knack for capturing attention."

Although people kept saying as such, I found the compliment not soothing at all.

"Very well," I groaned. "Teach me how to dance."

"An easy task for even a mouse!" she boasted. "I am a great teacher!"

I hoped it'd be so easy.