Thirty-Eight |

Thirty-Eight |

"It won't be long now," I promised him, clutching his hands tightly. 

Bram smiled slightly. "I hope that is true." 

Only hours had passed since Edric had shown me to the basement and I had slipped through time to murder his wife—the mere thought made my mind ache. When did my story become so complicated? Fae and gods, curses and travelling through time, ghosts of memories—by the gods it was all far too much to believe. 

And here I was, sipping tea with Bram Yarrow watching the sun set. 

At least his treatment here had improved. I heard the guards allowed him to roam the garden once a day and served him anything he desired which did calm my heart. However, I wouldn't be fully satisfied until he gained his freedom once more. 

"You speak as if I bore you," I teased. 

His eyes rolled. "Of course not. But I was still a prisoner. And a prisoner is a prisoner no matter how golden the cage." 

That was the bitter truth. 

"Tell me something," I murmured, sipping my blend of hibiscus and honey. "What will you do once you gain your freedom? Erik did send you to die after all." 

He was quiet for a moment, his eyes watching the liquid swirl in his cup. There was a heaviness in the air—an unspoken tension between us and for a moment I wondered if I'd crossed the line with such a question. 

I sighed, taking another sip. 

"Forgive me," he sighed. "Your question has my heart aching." 

"I can understand why," I chuckled softly. "The world has become cruel."

"No. I don't think it has become cruel but rather, it has always been as it has. It's not the cruelness that has arrived but our own defeat. We've become wrapped up in this deadly game of courts that wasn't made for us. Perhaps we should have been satisfied with our complicit fate instead of questioning it." 

"And what was our fate then?" I demanded. "To accept my death at the hands of Erik for a crime I did not commit? Was yours to become like the shadows and allow your family to cast you aside for a power you were not born with? If that's the rules of this world then this world can change, or it can burn to the ground."

"You sound so sure," he whispered. 

I nodded, determination and rage filling me. "Of course, I am. Because the moment I'm not I will be killed. There is no room for hesitation nor mercy. The world did not have that for me and so I will not have that for the world." 

"I hope I can see that for you." 

"And then what for yourself Bram? What do you want?" 

Those ocean eyes widened as if my question was a surprise. "W-what I want?"

"Yes," I urged, grasping his hands. "What do you want?" 

He pulled away. "Peace Lady Roisin, I want peace." 

Peace. 

It was such a hopeful and simple response and yet, it filled me with dread. I leaned back, my eyes sliding towards the window and out at the thousands of stars that danced for us. My tongue moved over the grooves of my teeth until my jaw clenched. The eldest Yarrow son wanted peace, and he would get exactly that. 

Whether I died or his brother did. 

"Forgive my words," he sighed suddenly. "I'm tired. You should go." 

I nodded, trying not to show how his words stung. "Very well. A bid you a good night." 

"Thank you." 

Without an ounce of hesitation, I slipped from the room with an aching smile. My boots clicked against the tower steps as I descended, and I could feel my mind slowly unravelling into a state of insanity. It dawned on me--I had no allies. Not one person in all of this world truly wished to be my friend. Bram didn't care if I died or not, and I'm sure the Albion's didn't either. A small chuckle left my lips, tears fell carelessly down my face. I fight for the fae but I don't even know them. Why was I trying so hard? 

Why? 

"Why!?" I gasped, my lungs suddenly losing the ability to breathe. "Why?" 

I turned, raising my fist to the wall when suddenly my fist hit something soft as opposed to the stone wall. My sight dropped and I let my hand fall, a small smile on my face. Of course, he was always around to make sure I didn't stumble. He allowed my heart to ache but never enough to hurt my health. 

"It's unfair," I whispered. "You're unfair." 

"Forgive me," Oberon spoke softly, pulling me to his chest. "I could not respect your command. It pained me to see you suffering so."

I closed my eyes and pressed my face against his chest, the soft black feathers comforting the storm within my heart. I said nothing more, I could not speak without being a hypocrite myself; after all, he was the only person in this world who had proven to be my ally without any other motive. 

No, I suppose that wasn't true at all. 

Time passed but I wasn't sure whether it was a great deal or a pinch of sand. Eventually, I calmed myself enough to know that I couldn't stay in this position. However, cruel my previous command was, I could not continue to rely on his protection. Not when he was willing to protect me even from my goal. 

That thought frightened me. 

Such loyalty I begged for and yet, when faced with it, I was frightened. 

I was a hypocrite after all—the worst kind.   

A sigh left my lips and I pulled away. "I'll be fine now."  

"Of course," he whispered. 

When I opened my eyes, he was gone. Loneliness settled against my ribs and I breathed out slowly. I was alone once more. There was a tingle in my wrist and I smiled. That's right, I wasn't alone. Silently, I scolded myself. I was never alone. 

"Ebby," I whispered, cupping my hands. 

"Mek!" 

He appeared within my palms, and I squished him against my cheek. 

"Thank you, friend."