Twenty |

Twenty |

            Panic set in very quickly.

            I ran across the room no longer caring for the statue people as I reached the windows. However, they were just as hot. I felt as though these people decided to build a castle in a fire or a volcano or even the sun! All options that very much did not serve me well. In any case, the room was beginning to heat up. I could feel my skin beginning to burn—the air danced with the heat.

"She has an unlikable way with words," the man said.

My head whipped around to glare at him, "Pardon me?"

"I disagree," the woman said.

My eyes rolled but I said nothing. Instead, I moved back to the center of the room before looking at them long and hard. Despite them talking, I noticed they have not moved at all. So, I stepped towards them, and again. Until I was standing right in front of their golden thrones.

"You disagree with me?" the man asked.

Her eyes flickered, "I do."

I looked between them, "Are you two stuck?"

Silence. I sighed before turning back to the door.

"Stuck?" he asked, making me turn back around.

The woman hummed with confusion, "What do you mean?"

I looked between them again, "What do you mean what do I mean? Can you move?"

"We can..."

"...but why would we?"

They were strange indeed and something told me that I should not propose the idea of them moving. After all, a pair like them who had been trapped within such flames for so long whilst being so still cannot be sane. I laughed nervously, the bottom of my shoes were melting to the floor. I hopped from foot to foot to keep from gluing. 

"Never mind," I said backing up a step, "My friend sent me here. I think he thinks you can help me control my power. I'm not sure why, I don't even know who you are."

"Control your power?" he asked, his tone curling with disgust.

"Why would you want to do that?" she demanded, almost upset.

My eyes widened, "B-but I can't control it and nothing has worked. I was told not to use emotions, then to use emotions. To focus, then that I'm focusing too much. I'm tired and nothing is working. I have a very important job and I can't even begin to start it if I can't use my powers."

What a strange confession for a pair of statues.

"You hold within you something precious," the woman said slowly.

The man agreed, "Something priceless. Something that cannot be contained."

The air was so hot now there was an orange tinted mist in the air. It was terribly hard to see the two and I could feel my skin beginning to drip with an obscene amount of sweat.

"Right," I asked quickly, squinting through the air, "So what do I do?"

For a moment, I could almost swear the two smiled.

"Do not contain it."

I gasped, air rushing into my lungs as my eyes popped open and I sat up. Beside me was Oberon and Ebby. I coughed up earthy water before glaring at him. He could have warned me in the very least that I'd see a strange vision.

"I'm happy to see you alive," he purred.

I laid back on the rock and pressed my hand to my head, "I-I almost died."

"But you did not."

"But I could have," I whispered angrily, "Do you even care?"

He was quiet for a moment.

"Mek!"

I watched Ebby jump back to my arm before returning to his place. Then it was just me and Oberon. Once more I was angry at him for not telling me everything. I wasn't even sure what had occurred in my mind—was that a different reality or an illusion?

"Do you feel better?" he asked softly.

For a moment I just paused. He was right. I did feel better. There was something about two giant and terrifying golden statues that calmed you about insignificant things. Or perhaps it was the words they had given me that truly lifted my spirits. In any case, I felt as though my grasp on my abilities had been renewed. So, I glanced over at him with a small smile.

"Thank you," I said quietly, "They really helped me."

He looked confused for a moment, "Who else was with Casimir?"

It was my turn to be confused, "I was supposed to see Casimir?"

"You did not?" he demanded, "Darling, the only way one can see Casimir is through a strong connection to earth and the power of the circlet. He was to give you his words of wisdom—who did you visit? Where did your soul go?"

A wave of confidence filled me. I had gotten out of Oberon's plans for once and it made me feel wonderful. For once my soul had acted on its own. What was more, I had knowledge of something that even Oberon did not. Whoever those two were, they'd be my secret. 

I smirked slightly and sat up, "I suppose it is your turn to ask questions. However, you may not be ready for the answer."

"Darling," he hissed before his gaze moved to the entrance.

A breeze tickled my face and I looked away. When I looked back he was gone—a black feather in his place. My confusion did not last long as I heard foot steps before I spotted Aldrich step through the entrance. He was out of breath, his eyes looking around fearfully.

"Ciara," he breathed with relief spotting me, "I thought I said not to come back here."

I slowly moved to stand, finding every one of my bones aching, "You told Orris not to bring me here. I figured I'd be fine on my own."

He frowned, "You're soaked."

"I'm ok," I replied, "Why were you so panicked?"

"Ah. No one could find you. We feared you left."

Left to give myself up.

"No," I said softly.

Not yet at least.