Thirty Eight |

Thirty Eight |

            My eyes widened at her disrespectful words. I didn't know much of the Arianne culture, only the little information Ayden offered me but I did know many royals took on mistress' and concubines. I had never seen a relationship between three people however, but it seemed a whole lot better than a king taking on a concubine without his wife's consent. They seemed happy too, and I thought it was a kind relationship. A happy one even despite them being royals. I supposed Queen Yarrow could be jealous. But such a accusation was dangerous. 

The entire room grew silent, tension as sharp and aggressive like the fangs of an unkept snake. I'm sure had anyone attempted to utter a breath, it would have been heard through the room. The queen's magic suddenly grew, the room becoming so cold I had to grit my teeth to keep from chattering—and I was not the only one too. Element-less nobles around the room moved down into either bows or curtsy's in order to hide their own forced submissions to the queen's power. The elementals in the room however, were tense. Each side ready to fight for their respectable king and queen. The only ones seeming to not be bothered was the kings and queens in the room. King Teowulf for example, laughed loudly, slamming his fist against his chest in a brute-like fashion.

            "If you wish to fight then so be it!" he roared with excitement, "Allow this hall to be stained with blood, sex and wine! That is the best way to start a party, is it not?"

            Queen Yarrow looked utter appalled, her magic loosening around the room, "Perhaps that is the case in Arianne but here in Ipuina we are civilized. We do not bring whores to our royal court, especially if we are guests at another's home."

            I watched carefully as Saewynn stepped forward. As she did, the mystery concubine moved to Teowulf's side, she placed her hand delicately on his arm and he relaxed. All attention turned to Saewynn now, including Queen Yarrow's own sharp eyes.

            "We have taken upon a lover. However, because of this scandal, we choose to keep her identity secret. She is no noble nor elemental, but a street performer whom had caught our eye. I'm sure you can understand our reluctance to speak of her, however in any case she is both our lover and as such a royal concubine. Which, according to your own laws and ours, permitted to attend court functions," Saewynn spoke softly, a small smile on her face, "We meant no insult, but if you continue to demand our concubine a whore, we might be the one to feel insulted. Isn't that so my husband?"

            Teowulf nodded, a smirk now settled on his face, "An insult indeed. Although I prefer to fight in this room you keep so clean, I will respect the tournament and have my men fight only there. Our concubine stays with us, if you demand she leave, we shall too and our kingdom will remember this. Both sides will."

            Queen Yarrow's eyes narrowed and her teeth gritted. I held back a small smirk—she didn't like people winning a game of wit against her but now I knew it wasn't impossible. The queen didn't look like a superior being here, she looked like a normal person trying to be the best at the game of court.

            "It is a good thing my queen has no ability to banish people from my land," King Yarrow chuckled suddenly, his words calming the room, "I apologize on her behalf. We all know how moody royal women can be when in the face of a concubine."

            The room chuckled at that.

            "Allow our welcome ball to commence! Please enjoy yourselves and let us not argue about such trivial things. Our alliance between lands is strong, our friendship stronger!"

            The crowd cheered, and the music began. I sighed softly as I watched Erik and Eliza leave their place at the sides of their parents to go enjoy the night. To my surprise, Bram was no where in sight. I looked over to Fionn curiously.