Twenty-Three |

Twenty-Three |

Knowing I'd be training today, I dressed in a pair of pants and riding boots. Along with a pale green tunic (which had been tucked into my pants) and a leather waspie around my waist. I stared at my long brown locks for a while before braiding it back. My strands were getting long, they now sat just above my tail bone and my bangs tickled at my eyelids. Soon I'd need a trim. But for now, I pulled on a pair of gloves and went on my way.

It was only a matter of time before Orris whisked me away to train.

So, I sought out Bram in the meantime.

I wished to know all that has happened. Erik must had lost his mind—sending Bram into danger. It angered me and I just didn't understand. What had happened to Ipuina? My stomach curled and I shook such thoughts from my mind.

To my surprise, Bram was not in the dungeon, but instead in the very top of the keep. Locked away in a tower. He had four guards at his door, and when I went to him, I noticed the reluctance of the guards to allow me in. Eventually however, they had to. I was given no command away from the tower and I was a royal guest.

Stepping into the room (after climbing far too many stairs) I found Bram sitting in a wooden chair near the single window of the tower. My heart ached. The room was bare safe for a bed and that chair. There was a tray of food on the edge of the bed, and it seemed he was not getting much food. My eyes took in his form carefully. He looked skinner—but that was not from his stay here.

He'd only been here for week or so.

"Bram," I whispered softly.

His head turned towards me and he smiled slightly. When he stood, I noticed the slight limp in his one leg and I prayed it was from sitting in the chair all day and not abuse. In any case, it hurt terribly to see him so—so different than what he once was.

"Ara. It's good to see you."

My heart broke further. After all this, that was his first thought?

"Oh Bram," I cried, running over to hug him tightly. "You deserve better."

"I'm alright. Save your tears." He chuckled.

But how could I? Pulling away I just nodded, wiping my face carefully. I wished not to make him uncomfortable. I just couldn't stop staring at him. Never did I imagine he'd be never—in Neorian. Although I suppose I didn't imagine any of this happening.

"What has happened?" I asked.

His gaze fell. "A lot. You missed quite the commotion. Father has been buried, and my Mother named Erik king. Officially. We have gotten word that Fionn may be in Arianne however, it seems my brother has no intention of going after him."

"Why?"

Those blue orbs lifted and all I saw was agony. "He wishes to publicly execute you instead. The ultimate punishment. There are also more rumors in the palace..."

"Rumors?"

"Yes. They say your mother was of the Cyprus family. If that's true, then your entire Roisin bloodline is tainted with betrayal. Mother will stop at nothing to make sure you're punished. It doesn't matter that you were not the one whom killed him."

I licked my lips slowly. So much information.

"Do you hate me?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I was always treated kinder by my father. He had no elemental abilities either. However, that does not mean I was close to him by any means. I can't bring myself to feel anything over his death. Especially now that Erik sent me as a messenger. We all know he wished for my death. After all that's happened, I just wish to leave it all."

Pain filled my heart for him. "I will talk to Edric, I will get you your freedom."

"Please, worry for yourself. I have no friends left. I cannot lose another. As selfish as that may be, I wished not to lose you too."

I frowned. "Where is Benji?"

His face fell, and he looked away. "D-dead."

My hands flew to my face as horror filled me.

Benji was dead?

I felt numb. A coldness settling in my heart. I stumbled to the chair, my knees giving out and I just barely made it. I pressed my fingers to my chest and focused on my breathing. It was too much of a shock. I simply could not believe it.

Tears ran down my face freely.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"He succumbed to his injuries from the tournament."

My head shook. "That doesn't make sense. He would have been fine! Emmett's flames could not have killed him. Benji—Benjamin was strong."

He looked away. "I'm sorry Ara. I-I don't know what else to say."

"Are you alright?"

"I will be. This is how court has always been."

My feet moved before I had even realized it. I threw my arms around the taller man's shoulders and hugged him tightly. My cheek on his chest as I squeezed all the love I could into his body. It was a horrible thing to lose a friend. I would mourn Benji greatly. He did not deserve such a fate. My eyes narrowed.

No one deserved such a fate.

He continued to tell me of the events of that night. How the Arianne royals left quickly after and Fionn disappeared as quickly as he had appeared. The elemental guards attempted to stop the Arianne royals from leaving, however, such would have broken the peace. So, they left.

According to him the king was buried in the morning and Erik rose to Kingship by the end of the week. Everything moved quickly, and the castle was in a current state of fear. The Queen was hurting, her cruelty at a new height and Erik was making all attempts to appease her.

He was no better than she, I realized bitterly.

Then a while ago, Erik got word on both mine and Fionn's whereabouts. Instead of going after the King Killer, he sent Bram to retrieve me for execution, or die trying. It was cruel and heartless. How could he send off his own brother? And for me when I was innocent!

It was had to stay silent when I was so angry. Nothing made sense.

"I will change the world," I said suddenly. "I will make it better."

His head tilted slightly, and he smiled. "I'm sure you will."

There was doubt in his words, but it didn't matter. My words were my vow.