TWENTY |

TWENTY |

"Good morning my lady," Loli said, as if on cue, entering the room, with something in her hands, "How was the ball?"

I nodded, "It is indeed. The ball was wonderful. What is in your hand?"

"A letter from one Aldrich addressed to you!" she replied, "Is he a suitor?"

I laughed, slipping from the bed to receive the letter, "Goodness no."

She hummed, saying nothing as I undressed myself. While I opened the letter, Loli busied herself with brushing my hair and dressing me in a pair of pantaloons, a pretty pale green coloured gown, and a matching corset. The letter, from Aldrich himself read as such:

Ciara,

I shall await you at the stables when the sun is at it's peak.

~ Aldrich.

I looked over to Loli as she put down my brush, "What time is it?"

"It is almost the zenith hour, Eliza said there was no classes today," she replied.

My stomach rumbled loudly and she giggled.

"Shall I fetch a plate of food my lady?"

My head shook, "Can you bring me two apples? And meet me at the stables."

"You don't want company on the way?"

I smiled, "The night was long, I wish time to my thoughs."

"I understand," Loli replied, "It can be overwhelming living in the castle."

So, I went off. A hum upon my lips, and a little skip in my step. I said my good mornings to Eliza and Rosa who sipped at their tea, then I descended the spirally stone steps of the tower. As I did, I could still smell the scent of hyacinth upon my skin and that only made my mood sparkle more than the Queen's gems.

I passed through the first floor of the castle without thought before stepping out into the crisp air. I inhaled deeply, the smell of autumn so fresh and delightful. My eyes danced across the lot and towards the stables were guards dressed of black attire and silver accents. A smile grew on my face, it was the colours of Neorian.

Aldrich was waiting for me.

Continuing my hum, I walked towards the stables. One guard (wearing a red fire symbol upon his chest) stepped towards me as I reached the stable. My brow rose and I frowned, stopping in my tracks. Flashes of being burned upon my face had a sudden panic fill me. My body itched with anger.

"Ciara!" Aldrich's voice calmed me, as he stepped out of the stables, his hands on the reins of a beautiful black horse, "I've been waiting for you."

I smiled at him, the itch easing, "Good morning, Aldrich."

"It is indeed," he laughed, "Come for a ride with me."

I chewed at my lip, "That might not be wise. I shouldn't be alone with a man."

"Do not worry," he chuckled, "There will be many, many eyes upon us the entire time. Actually, are you wearing pantaloons today?"

I frowned, "I'm not telling you that!"

"Wear my tunic," he smirked, pulling off his jacket, then his shirt and shed his silk tunic, I looked away as he bared his bare chest, "And take off that dreadful gown. It does not look comfortable attire at all."

"Comfortable attire for what?"

He handed me the tunic and I looked back to him, gratefully his shirt was back on.