Chocolate Croissant

It was just after sunrise, when Fjodor woke up by a knock on the door. "Morning, Fyo. I thought we should have a nice celebration breakfast for your release." Nikolai waved with a paper bag from the bakery and he gasped. The white haired boy chuckled at the other's reaction and came closer. "Now, what would you like? The chocolate croissant or the buttered pretzel?"

"Chocolate", Fjodor said without thinking. Nikolai stared at him. "Did you just..." Fjodor's eyes opened wide as he put a hand before his mouth. "Man, I almost forgot how your voice sounded", Nikolai joked and handed him the croissant. He could see how Fjodor started to think about all sorts of thinks again. "Nope, stop right there and look at me. I got up hella early today to fetch you this croissant, and now you are just gonna eat it and enjoy it all the way, okay?"

Fjodor met Nikolai's eyes and didn't even blink the whole time while eating. "You know you look like a hamster when you hold the croissant like that." Nikolai grinned as he watched Fjodor munch on the croissant, holding it with two hands and taking small bites. "It'sh noh fummy", the other one complained, what made Nikolai laugh even more.

Those pure eyes captivated Fjodor every time, and when Nikolai laughed, they sparkled even more. But the most amazing thing was when he could read them, when he could see how much Nikolai loved him just from the look in his eyes. He never thought this was real, not even possible, but it was. He gulped down the last bite of food and just wanted to tell him that, when Nikolai pulled out a tissue.

"You got chocolate all over your mouth, wait..." Nikolai reached out to wipe it off, but the slightest touch made Fjodor flinch away again. "Sorry", Fjodor said, averting his gaze. Nikolai shook his head. "Don't be, it's okay. Take your time for that." It was not okay, not for him. When would he ever be able to live a normal life? To be the person Nikolai deserved to be with?

"I love you, Fyo", Nikolai said. Surprised Fjodor looked at him. "And you can't imagine how happy I am that you are alive, that I get to be with you, now and in the future, that I was the first person you chose to speak to today, that I'm a person you allow to touch you. We got this once, and we will get there again, I know we will. And I don't care how often I have to get dragged into your problems because I chose to myself. You never have to feel guilty about that. I know you will, that's just how your mind works, but just know that I don't regret anything and I would do it all over again if I must."

Fjodor felt like he was going to cry again. "Kolya..." Very slowly he moved his hand towards Nikolai until their pinkie fingers slightly touched. Softly Nikolai lifted his finger and caressed Fjodor's, just lightly. Fjodor closed his eyes, then turned his head towards Nikolai, before opening them again. "I love you, too... And I want to tell the police all of it but I... And Dunja's wedding tomorrow, she loves father so much, I..." Nikolai softly smiled. "Will you take me there with you?", he asked instead.

He knew it would not be easy, he just hoped father would keep it down for Dunja's sake for that one day.
Then Fjodor nodded.