10 Years Later

"It's one year now, isn't it?" Nikolai looked down at Fjodor, who knelt on the cold stone. "One year and five days." He ignited an incense stick before standing up. "May he rest in hell." Concerned Nikolai put his hand on Fjodor's shoulder as they walked away from the grave.

Mikhail Dostojewsky
Died in prison from a heart attack caused by excessive consume of alcohol.
His imprisonment would have ended one year later.

"You shouldn't talk so harshly. I know you can't forgive him, but holding a grudge isn't good for you either." Fjodor grabbed Nikolai's hand. He didn't want to talk about it. He didn't want to go to the grave at the exact day because he didn't want to meet Dunja and his mother there. They didn't forgive either, but they loved him once and somewhere deep down they still did.

In long, quick steps Fjodor brought as much distance between him and the graveyard as possible. The breeze was already getting colder as the leaves slowly turned brown on the trees. "You're right", he admitted. "I am always right, Fyo." Nikolai smirked as he pulled Fjodor closer, stroking a strand of black hair behind his ear.

"Fyoyo!" Both of them turned their heads when they heard the little girl's voice. Clumsily she ran towards Fjodor, who caught her in his arms and lifted her up. "Hey sweety, how was your day?" The little girl giggled as she pointed at Sigma, who walked up to them now. "We made cookies! With lots of choco! Wanna try?"

"Let's have them together with mommy later", Fjodor said. "Thanks for watching her, Sigma", he added towards his friend, who waved it off. "Katy is always welcome with me." Fjodor gave him a thankful nod.

On their way home, Katy kept brabbling on about how Sigma showed her how to make the cookies, how the whole kitchen has been covered in flour because she had to sneeze, how the chocolate kept sticking to her fingers. While Nikolai played the role of the all interested listener, Fjodor just quietly smiled. This child would grow up in such a warm, loving home.

"Mommy! Mommy! I made cookies with Sigma, wanna try? Wanna?!" Dunja was just getting out of the car when Katy jumped over to her and into her arms. "That sounds great, sweety, let's go get inside."

"Say thank you to Sigma when you see him again, will you?" Fjodor nodded as they entered the house. It smelled like food already and Dunja's husband waved to them from the kitchen. "Dinner's almost ready, I'll be there in a minute."

Excitedly Katy followed her dad back into the kitchen, starting the cookie story all over again. "She really gets excited so easily", Nikolai said as the sat down on the couch. Fjodor leaned against his chest. With closed eyes he listened to Nikolai's heartbeat, Katy's blabbering from the kitchen, Dunja setting the table. He let out a deep sigh. He would have never dreamed himself a life so wonderful.

After dinner they sat around the table, chitchatting, when Fjodor finally found the right moment and grabbed in the pocket of his jacket. "Well, erm, Nikolai and I wanted to give you something." Confused Dunja grabbed the envelope her brother had put on the table. Her eyes sparkled. "Are these...?!" Nikolai smiled. "Yes."

"Nikolai and I are getting married next spring."

- The end -