Surprises

When the police officer returned to the room, he looked at them for a second, then blinked and sat down on his chair again. Fjodor felt like he wanted to vanish, but his curiosity won over the urge to run away. "What is going to happen now?", Nikolai asked before the man could even open his mouth.

"We issued an arrest warrant for Mr. Dostojewsky's father." Fjodor held his breath. For real? Unbelieving he looked at Nikolai, as if he had the answers to his unspoken questions. "But he is...going to deny everything... I'm sure", he slowly said, turning his head towards the police officer. "Most suspects do that. You don't need to worry."

"And when will you...arrest him?" Fjodor fumbled with his fingers until Nikolai grabbed them and gave him a kiss on the forehead. "Our men are on the way to his house right now." A second later Fjodor's phone rang. The number of his home, no, the number of his parents' home. Questioning he looked at the officer, who nodded, signaling him to take the call.

Fjodor immediately pressed on the loudspeaker button after he answered the phone. "You little piece of sh*t! Where are you right now?!" His father's voice echoed through the room. "I'm at the... police station...", he said, a lot weaker than he wished he could. A growl was heard through the phone.

Another officer came through the door, but the one behind the desk signaled him to keep quiet. "Well, those cop friends of yours are at our door and your mom is shocked to the bone of what you're telling them about me. What did you think breaking her heart like that?" Fjodor flinched and put the phone down on the desk, away from him.

"The one who's breaking her heart is you because of what you did to Fjodor. He's just finally doing what he should have done years ago", Nikolai said a bit too loud. The officer looked at him with a raised eyebrow and he apologized wordless. "I could have guessed that that little boyfriend of yours is behind this. What did he say to manipulate you? It's not my fault you tried to kill me."

Fjodor didn't say a word. He didn't know what would be right now. Telling him he was wrong would be a waste of time. Sometimes he doubted if his father maybe really believed in what he said. The police officer held his hand above the hang up button, glancing over at Fjodor. He nodded and they hung up. Relieved he sighed.

The man still standing in the doorframe received a call a moment later. "We got him in the car now, but his wife insisted on coming along. We're on our way to the station now." Both officers nodded and the one at the door left again.

"There's one more thing we need to talk about." Fjodor immediately knew what he meant. He got up and sat on his own chair again. "Like I told you, I tried to kill my father when I was ten." The officer nodded. "I know, but that's not necessarily how the court hast to see it. At that age, pouring sugar in a car tank can be seen as a childish prank. Or you state it as an act of self defence. In a situation like yours, it is possible to view it as a desperate cry for help from a child. Either way, given that you were only ten years old back then, you will most likely not be prosecuted for it."

He would not? Sure, he head read about something like that a few years ago, but he never dreamed this would really be the case. "That's all for now." The officer rose from his chair. "Thank you for your time", Nikolai said, also on Fjodor's behalf, as he still stared into the nothingness. The man smiled and left the room. "Just leave when you're ready."

They just made it to the lobby, when two officers accompanied Fjodor's father through the front doors. His mother hurried after them, looking shocked and confused. When she spotted Fjodor, she squeaked. "Fedja! What does this all mean? Why did you say such weird things to the police? They are arresting your father, you know?" Fjodor's shoulders were hanging down and he didn't even look into her eyes. "I know. And I'm relieved. What I said is true and if you want to know the details, read the protocol, I allowed them to show it to you if you want. I'm sorry."

His mother's eyes opened wide from what she heard, then filled with tears. "No... Fedja... My sweet little angel..." His father had stopped walking through the main hall, staring at them intensely. Then Dunja burst into the lobby too, saw them and ran over to them. "Fedja! I read your letter. Is that all true?!" She saw her father in handcuffs, her mother crying. She didn't need an answer anymore.

Fjodor wished they would just all disappear. Why did they have to make a scene in public? The other people at the hall were already looking at them, whispering. Nikolai put an arm around his shoulder. "I want to go home", he said. That wasn't a very precise answer, Nikolai thought. Did he mean his house? Or Fyo's flat? Questioning he looked at Fjodor. "I don't know myself what I meant", he admitted, which made Nikolai smile a bit. "Then let's just go to my place."

"I can drive you there", Dunja offered as she got rid of her state of shock. Then she glanced over to her dad. "But before that..." In a moment she rushed over to him and slapped him so hard it echoed through the whole hall. It all went quiet for a moment. Even the police officers were paralyzed. She stared at him dead into the eyes, then turned on her heels and walked out the door. "Come on, boys, I have nothing more to say."