Triumph?

Fjodor's hand hovered above the door handle to the court room. It was the same room as last time. Grey and clean. Uncomfortable and anxious. Nikolai stood right behind him. "It's okay, Fyo. No matter what happens, I'll be by your side. But I bet it'll all turn out just fine. Have a little faith."

Faith. What a beautiful tragic word. He shook his head to rid himself of useless thoughts. The next hour would probably decide his fate for the next decades of his life and even for just a moment, he wanted to feel the joy if the result being in his favor. "You're right, Kolya. I got this."

Determined Fjodor pushed down the door handle and walked into the room. Nikolai, Dunja and his mother sat down in the back while he took a seat next to his lawyer... Across from his father. Hopefully this would be the last time he'd have to see that face. Fjodor raised his head and met his father's gaze directly. He was not a little boy anymore and he would not allow himself to shy away from that man ever again.

At least not if there were people around and a few meters between them. He sighed at his own correction.

"The court has discussed the matter and has come to a conclusion. I will now proclaim the final verdict." The expression on the judge's face was indifferent. Not a single muscle around her eyes moved as she spoke. The whole room was silent. You could hear the people breathing and Fjodor feared they might as well hear his heart beating.

"Every testimony of the witnesses has been taken into consideration and after hearing the plaintiff's statement, they were compared to each other. The final verdict reads as follows: The defendant, Mr. Mikhail Dostojewsky, is declared guilty in every particular. He is penalized to serve a sentence of 10 years in prison. No further argumentation. Thank you." She stood up, nodded at Fjodor, and left.

It was like time had stopped. Fjodor stared at his hands, then slowly lifted his gaze towards his father. The older man had leaned back in his chair with his eyes closed, then slowly started opening them to meet Fjodor's gaze.

The police waited outside the room to accompany the old man to prison. As he passed Fjodor's table, he leaned down a bit and whispered in Fjodor's ear. "Enjoy your next ten years, son."

Author's note:
I have absolutely no idea of what a court sentence thing whatever looks or sounds like. Forgive me. I just wrote what I thought sounded mighty and cool. Hope you still like it anyway 😅
Yours sincerely
LunaMiyazawa 💜