29. - Finally -

madison parker

- She woke up! - a nurse came running to tell me.

I was lying down on one of the benches, and I got up so quickly that I felt slightly dizzy, but at least I started. My mother had woken up! A huge smile spread across my face.

It was already morning and everyone had come to the hospital. Liz, my dad, Charlie, Riley and even Jamal.

- Only two people at a time, for fifteen minutes per visit. She's a little confused, so don't ask too many questions and don't talk too quickly.

We all nodded quickly. My father takes the lead to say:

- You and Liz go first.

I shake my head, and soon the nurse starts leading us down a long hallway. I feel Liz squeeze my hand tightly, I squeeze back, smiling at her. I was euphoric and my heart was somewhat relieved to know that my mother was okay.

- Fifteen minutes! – The nurse reinforces, as soon as we arrive in front of the room door.

Liz ignores her and bursts into the room in a hurry. The poor thing cried all night, according to my father. I wanted so badly to be there for her. But I was in the same condition, I don't know if it would help much.

My heart skips a little and my breath catches in my throat. My mother is pale, with purple arms and tubes everywhere. I can't stand seeing her like this. I approach her bed with tears in my eyes.

- Hey Mom. – She smiles weakly. - Liz is in tears on the other side of the bed, squeezing her hand tightly. - You gave us quite a scare.

- I guess I'm not like Toretto after all. - nasal river. - Only Eva Parker is capable of making jokes at a time like this

-I was scared, mom. – Liz confesses in a low, choked voice. My mother's eyes water.

- I'm sorry for this. - she says, in a weak voice.

- You don't have to apologize. None of this was your fault, mom. – I respond, kissing the back of her hand.

The bruises on her face make me close my eyes tightly, taking a deep breath before opening them again.

-We're glad you're okay.

My mother smiles at both of us. And then, Liz starts telling her about her day at school yesterday, taking care to speak slowly and calmly, with the intention of distracting her.

I just watch, biting my lip several times.

I'm completely happy that my mom is okay. God knows how grateful I am for not losing her. But my heart is still in tatters. There's still something missing and I know exactly what it is.

I was never good at making decisions, I always acted irrationally, being driven by emotion. Just when I think I'm thinking rightly, reality hits me hard and once again I realize I made the wrong decision.

If only everything were easy.

-And you? - my mother suddenly calls me, and I look at her. -Seems a bit distant and aloof

-She has her head in the clouds. -Liz laughs.

-It's nothing, I'm just thinking. I shake my head, forcing a smile.

-Haven't you resolved things with him yet?

I shake my head, muttering a sound of disgust. While it feels like I did the right thing, I feel like I didn't. And for that, I'm angry with myself.

-I practically kicked him out of my life. I don't think there's any turning back.

- Jamal likes you a lot. I don't think things between you just ended.

- I was a coward to him, mother. Not even I would forgive myself. – I sigh, receiving a comforting look from my sister.

- Do you regret the fake relationship? Without hesitation, I shake my head. -Do you regret pushing him away? – this time, I hesitate a little, but then I shake my head yes. — Then, you now have your answer.

She smiles, but soon her brow furrows and she breaks out into a coughing fit.

- I am fine. I am fine. – she assures both of us.

- I think it's good for you to stay quiet. Let's play the silence game. - Liz says, crossing her arms bossily.

-Thanks Mom. I don't know what my life would be like without you two. - I say, with tears in my eyes.

- Madison, you lost! – my sister exclaims. - But I love you too. I love you both.

Smiling at each other, the three of us hugged, in a somewhat awkward but still comforting way.

And we stayed like that for a while, in a bear hug, Liz and I being careful not to squeeze our mother too much, due to her injuries.

-Visiting hours are over. - the same nurse from before appears at the door to warn us.

-I'll be back later.

- It's really good, you need a shower. - I roll my eyes at my sister, but finally laugh.

-Rest, mom. – I kiss her on the forehead.

When we're already in the hallway, Liz calls my name, hugging me from the side.

- Mom's going to be fine now, isn't she? she asks, her big dark brown eyes staring at me.

- Now yes, Liz. Now yes. – She smiles, kissing the top of his head.

-Just one more thing. - I wait for her to continue, and then, giggling, she says: -If you agree to date Jamal, know that I support it. He's the best fake brother-in-law I've ever had.

I laugh lightly, patting him on the shoulder.

I'm scared, yes, but I won't hide anymore. I know what I want and what I feel. In fact, I've never been so sure about anything as I am now.