013. - Date.-

madison parker

After going through my closet for the thousandth time, I give up, sighing heavily, throwing myself onto my bed.
Jamal hadn't given me any tips about where we were going, so I had no idea what to wear.

What if I put on a dress and he decided to go hiking? Or I decide to put on pants, and he takes me to the beach?

I hate surprises.

It makes me anxious about what awaits me, what will happen.

MADISON:
Any tips on where we're going?

JAMAL:
sweet surprise

MADISON:
just a tip, no one will ever die if u do this

JAMAL:
I'll be there in 30 minutes.

MADISON:
WHAT???

MADISON:
you said you would come by at 9:30

JAMAL:
Exactly, warm up, it's already 9:00

I widen my eyes and throw my cell phone on the bed, then start running around the room, getting ready again.

After so much choosing, I decided to wear a pair of jeans that gave off the "I just got out of the war" vibe. I got them for Christmas from my mother, and it seems like every time I wear them, they rip even more. I put on a white top, and on top, a black kimono with some drawings. On my feet, I decide to wear white sneakers too.

I put on light makeup and spray on some perfume.

Already downstairs, I notice a note from mine stuck to the refrigerator door.

"I left your lunch ready in the microwave, just heat it up. Stay safe, daughter. I love you."

I smile, but inside I call myself names for lying to my mother.

Missing class because you're not feeling well. What a great lie of mine. In fact, I feel much better. My conscious tries to reassure me by saying that it's just a little lie and nothing, but with each lie, trust decreases. And by the way, losing your mother's trust is a path of no return.

The doorbell rings, making me jump in fright. I take a deep breath, and after grabbing my bag, I open the door, finding a smiling Jamal.

- Ready for our adventure? - His eyes examine me from top to bottom, and even though I try hard not to, my cheeks turn red. -You look very beautiful, Madison! -The smile on her face makes me nervous.

- You don't look bad either, Jamal! - I imitate him, laughing lightly.

He's wearing one of his button-down shirts, light-colored, slightly ripped jeans, and sneakers. His hair is messy, as always, making him even more attractive.

- Let's go? - he asks, looking anxious.

Even though I want to ask a lot of questions, I nod and lock the door, then follow him to his Audi.

- Aren't you really going to tell me where we're going? - I beg again, while putting on the seat belts.

Jamal lets out a nasal laugh, and looks at me with a roguish smile.

- I hope you like skating, Parker.

[.....]

- How do you bring me to skate if you don't know how? - I question, laughing, when I see Jamal fall for the fourth time while trying to skate.

He had brought me to a skating rink. The place was painted an almost white blue, and was full of children accompanied by their parents.

- I wanted it to be fun for you. - he says, and then swears several swear words as he falls to the ground again.

- And that's right, I love roller skating. Liz and I used to hang out a lot when she was younger. - I comment, helping him to get up. Come, hold my hand.

- I should have taken you to a skate park, at least there's something I know how to do. - Jamal complains, when we start skating, he holds my hands tightly. Probably afraid of falling again.

- Stop being an old complainer and have fun!

After lots of laughs and several laps around the track, Jamal and I decided to stop to rest, and also eat something from the snack bar on site.

- I'm a great skater, I know! - I boast, immediately biting off a piece of my snack.

- You are very convinced. - the boy laughs, shaking his head.

- I'm learning from the best! - we shared a smile. - What's our next adventure?

- Do you start to like the idea now? - He raises an eyebrow, suggestive.

- It's better than staying at home and getting moldy all day on the couch, and your company is good, I confess.

- Of course, what a great effort you would be making to be with me! - he says ironically, making me laugh.

- I just feel bad about lying to my mother. - I sigh, staring at the can of paper towels.

- You can tell her later, she will understand. Just say that you were with your boyfriend, having fun. - he plays.

- No family involvement, remember?

- Speaking of which... - he begins. - Maybe, just maybe, Annie told my mom that I had taken a girl home.

I widen my eyes.

- And now she wants to meet you. -she confesses, giving me an apologetic look.

- But don't you take girls to your house all the time?

- Hey, of course not! - he exclaims offended. -If that had happened, Annie wouldn't have been surprised, and she wouldn't have told my mother. I'm pretty sure she thought I was gay until she saw us together.

I let out a weak laugh.

Who knew that Jamal doesn't usually take girls to his house. He's the type who prefers to hide.

- Since I have no choice, fine then. - I take a sip of soda to ease the anxiety that grows in my chest.

- My parents are really good, I promise. - He assures me when he sees my expression of concern.

I shake my head. I can't deny that my heart flutters just imagining myself meeting my fake boyfriend's parents. Pretending to a crowd of students is easy - up to a point - because when you least expect it, you end up no longer being their focus when some other gossip is in the air. But when family is involved, it is much more complicated.

Lying to your family is much more complicated.

Because confidence is like rubber, it gets smaller with each mistake.

......