21. - " Oh , Riley..."

madison parker

-For God's sake, Riley! Don't let me fall! - Charlie shouts from the top of the stairs, trying to hang some decorative spiders on the wall.

-If you keep moving so much, you'll end up falling because of yourself. - Riley rolls her eyes.

-Pay attention to that! - Charlotte screams. - You can lose concentration and this ladder will fall with me.

Riley places her unoccupied hand on her waist.

- Charlie, if you're afraid of heights, you better get out of there. Let Madison put those damn spiders in!

With that said, Charli goes down the stairs. She crosses her arms over her chest and stands in front of Riley, looking at her with closed eyes.

-You're boring as hell today, huh! What animal bit you? You need to relax, girl. Halloween is coming, it's a great day for you to be with someone.

- I don't want to be with anyone! As if a kiss would solve anything. If that fixed it, my life would be perfect since the championship celebration party.

Charli and I looked at each other, sharing a slutty smile.

- As far as I remember, the only person you stayed with at the party was Joshua. - I say, smiling at my friend.

-What a lie! I stayed with others. Joshua is not alone at all. - rolls his eyes.

I know Riley well enough to know she's lying.

- Sit here, come on. Tell me everything.

She sighs, sitting next to me, then Charlie climbs onto the table, crossing her legs like an Indian.

- Last week, Joshua asked to meet me at that cafe on the street from college. I was suspicious, but I went anyway. Curiosity spoke louder. When I got there, he was kind to me the whole time. He offered to buy me some juice. Anyway, he was nice. And then, he...-my friend started touching the fingers on her hand. -He... He declared himself! He declared himself to me! He said he liked me a lot, that his heart beat faster when he saw me...

It was clear that Riley was upset and, for those who live with her every day, this was something that didn't happen often. Even though she was often in a bad mood, I never saw her hurt the way she was today. Her voice is lower than usual and she moves her fingers nervously.

Or, maybe Riley was really good at hiding her sadness. And we never realized...

- But I... I just ran. I left him alone and ran away.

I pull her head onto my lap, starting to stroke her hair. While Charlie  caressed her hand.

- He will hate me forever!

-He will not go. Joshua will understand you, I'm sure!

-Couldn't I have just said that I feel the same way too? Why is it so difficult for me to express how I feel?

It seems like I'm not the only one who has expression problems... This really sucks.

-You really like him, right?

·-Like I've never liked someone before. - she confesses.

I'm devastated to see Riley in a bad way. I wish I could do something to improve her mood. Just like she always does with me and Charlie. She has always taken care of us, now it is our turn to do the same.

- Look, I don't think words will make you better now... But what do you think we do something? Just the three of us!

- Who's up for a slumber party at my house? - Charlie smiles excitedly and I return it, loving the idea.

-Guys, I don't know... I'm not in the mood.

- Nonsense, Riley. You'll have a little fun. Don't think so much, after all, you didn't do anything wrong. When you're ready, you tell him what you feel. If Joshua doesn't know how to wait, damn him! -a smile starts to grow on her face.

-He's the one who's going to be losing! - Charlie reinforces my speech. I nod my head, agreeing.

- Do you want to know? You are right! I really need to distract myself. Charlie, you better still have karaoke.

- Are you kidding? Of course yes! I love singing like a bird in pain when Rihanna plays.

The three of us laughed.

...

jamal musiala

Smile and be friendly. Smile and be nice... - Madison repeated the phrases said by my mother desperately. The girl was scared to death of doing something wrong on her first day of work.

Even though I tried to calm her down the entire way here.

Her mother made an early appointment, so the brunette got a ride with me. But (un)fortunately her mom will still be at the restaurant when we arrive, which means I get to meet my mother-in-law, wait for it, Madison's mom.

- Parker, relax. Everything will be fine. - I try, once again, to calm her down.

She takes several deep breaths.

I stop the car in front of my parents' restaurant, turning off the radio that was playing a song by a Korean band called BTS. I don't know who they are, but Madison said her sister loves them. And let's face it, the songs are good.

-Heavens, I hope I have the strength to carry those trays with orders! - The girl next to me asks, looking through the window at the waitresses holding the full trays with just one hand.

-Once a waitress spilled strawberry juice on a customer, my mother fired her on the spot. - I say relaxed, still looking inside the restaurant.

-What!?

I start to laugh.

- It's a joke, sweetie. Do you think my mother is that insensitive? Accidents happen. - I hear a sigh of relief coming from her.

-You fool! I'm in a moment of tension and you're making jokes!

She gets out of the car sulking. Still laughing, I go after her.

-Ok, I'm sorry. But just stay calm. It's not a big deal.

- All good. Maybe I'm exaggerating. - She bites her lip. -It's my first job. I don't want to do anything wrong.

— You're perfect, you know that?

I run my thumb over her soft cheek, feeling her goose bumps. I smile.

- Nobody is perfect, Jamal.

- You are for me, Madison Parker. - She blushes. —Come, I want to meet your mother!

.....

These two
are indecipherable,
I swear...😭😭