009. - Vulnerable -

jamal musiala

- Seriously, man. She's into me. - Joshua boasts as we walk to the cafeteria, making Benjamim look at me sideways and burst out laughing.

- And who told you that? Did you find out in your dreams? - Benjamin mocks, and Joshua slaps him on the back of the head.

- No, you worm. - he rolls his eyes.

- In calculus class, she asked me what the teacher said in the last class, why she had missed that same class.

I arch my eyebrow and laugh. Joshua is in love with Riley, one of Madison's friends. But from what Madison tells me about her, Riley isn't the kind of girl who would give two shits about Joshua.

- Dude, I think she did that because she wanted to keep the material up to date, and not because she has a crush on you. - I say to him and we get in line to get the food. As always, it is full.
- From afar I see Madison and her two friends at a table away. They laugh about something, and I can't help but notice Madison. The brown-haired brunette is wearing her hair in a ponytail for the first time, not that it's anything new, but she looks beautiful. Anyway, actually.

- You guys are jealous that someone like Riley has a crush on me. - Joshua continues with his illusion, and I decide not to insist on the crazy thing.

- Okay then, sir, it breaks hearts.- Benjamin scoffs.- Why don't you go and talk to her?- my friend points to the girls' table.

- Is this a challenge, Pavard? Because I love one? - He smiles and places his tray on a table, then heading towards the girl.

Benjamim and I just watched Joshua go on confidently, occasionally adjusting his white cap, a sign that he was nervous.

When he arrives at the table, he rests one of his arms in front of Riley, making the girl look over her eyelashes, and tilt her head to the side in a confused gesture.

And the most expected happens. Joshua gets dumped. He turns to us, his ego hit. Benjamin bursts into loud laughter.

- Does she believe in love at first sight, or do you have to go there again? - I mock and he turns his eyes towards me.

- How do you know I told her that?

- Oh no! Did you really use that ridiculous line?- Benjamin laughs.

Joshua uses this cheap pickup line on all the girls, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Like this one, for example.

- And what did she say? - I ask curiously.

- The difference between love and illusion.- he responds.

-Love is what she feels for me, illusion is that I think this is true.- he adds in a voice that shows that his ego is clearly hurt.

Joshua gets angry when Benjamin starts laughing uncontrollably in his face.

- Wounded soldier! - Pavard puts his hand on his chest and pretends to grimace in pain.

- Keep it to yourself! - Kimmich slaps him.

My cell phone vibrates in my pocket, and I take it out, seeing that it's a message from Madison. I shake my head, laughing at her sending me a message even though we're in the same place.

MADISON:
Is Joshua ok?
hahahaha

JAMAL:
with a bruised ego
but well

MADISON:
I felt pain for him
the poor guy came all excited.