28. - Things are changing.-

madison parker

- She is sleeping. They told me that I will only be able to see her when I wake up. - I explain to my father on the phone.

I had already called Riley and Charli, and they mostly apologized for not answering their cell phones, but I reassured them. And now, I had to answer my father's seventh call, and I was forced to ask him to pick up Liz and let her spend the night at her house.

-Her mother is a strong woman, Madison. She'll get out of this. And it will be as if she didn't even go through it. - He lets out a little laugh at the end of the sentence.

I snort, rolling my eyes.

- Liz only sleeps with the lamp on, she's afraid of the dark. If she has nightmares, sing a high school musical song to calm her down. And please, she hates bread with crusts. - I told him several demands from my younger sister, since he probably doesn't know any of them.

- I know the daughter I have. - he laughs. - Liz is going to be fine. And you too. It's good to go home and rest. If you want... hm... you can come here too.

Not even dead.

- Do not worry about me. I turn around. - He remains silent, then I realize that I ended up being too rude. Even though he's an asshole sometimes, he just wants the best for me. -Sorry dad. I'm nervous about this whole situation.

-I understand, darling. I understand.

- And... um... thanks for the Cabriolet. Is really beautiful.

He appears to smile against the phone.

-I'm glad you liked it. Well, I'm going to hang up and reassure your sister here, because she's on the verge of a breakdown.

We say goodbye and I end the call.

An hour has passed and now it's practically another day, considering the time. I convinced Jamal to go home and take a shower and give his parents a sign of life. He was a little reluctant at first, in fact he was very reluctant, but finally he ended up accepting.

The truth was, I wanted time alone. After crying a lot in his lap, it was difficult to stay calm around him. It felt like my mind was sinking into horrible thoughts directed at myself.

Despite the time, the hospital has a large number of people in the waiting room. Paramedics arrive with patients in ambulances, and doctors and nurses rush back and forth. It's really scary.

-Parker? – someone calls me, and I quickly look up.

- Vinkows? - I question, with an arched eyebrow. aWhat are you doing here?

-My mother is a pediatric oncologist. – She rolls her eyes, as if I should know. I knew, I just didn't remember.

Silence. I even think she left, but she does the unexpected and sits next to me.

-I'm without my armor today, Audrey. So please don't be a jerk.

She laughs, ironically.

- I'm also without my sword. We are kits.

I look at her, realizing that, incredible as it may seem, she is calm. Talking to me like she didn't hate me more than anything.

- Why are you talking to me? Or rather, why aren't you insulting me? You hate me, remember?! – I raise my eyebrows.

I do not hate you. – she says defensively.

- Worship is not. – I retort.

- I do this to feed my ego, Madison. And you wouldn't be happy if your boyfriend left you either.