012. - Interruption -

madison parker

I was sitting on the couch stuffing myself with Oreo cookies while watching Lip Sync Battle for the thousandth time.

Channing Tatum playing Frozen, it's just not better than Tom Holland dancing Rihanna.

It was the second day I missed class. Riley and Charli came to visit me both nights. They have been giving me a lot of support in the last few days, not that they weren't already, but I just have to be grateful for having them as best friends.

My mother is worried about me, since I always hated missing classes, but luckily I didn't stop studying, considering that my friends are giving me the subjects I'm missing.

I groan when the house doorbell rings.

- Come on in, Charli! – I scream, imagining it was her, since the girl said she would come after class.

I hear the door close and footsteps enter the room.

-What are you doing here at this time? - I ask without turning around. There are still two classes left, by my count.

- I think the kitten here got detention. I'm startled by the completely different voice I expected, and I turn around, coming face to face with Jamal, standing there staring at me.

- You... – I digress looking at his abdomen, which is showing despite the button-down shirt, which is not completely buttoned. What the fuck did you do today? - I murmur, going back to watching my favorite program.

Maybe, just maybe, I broke Miles' nose. - I look at him with wide eyes, but he just shrugs and sits next to me on the couch.

- What!? - I manage to ask despite the shock.

- It's like, before I left, I saw that his nose was turned in a strange way, but very slightly, you know? -His voice exudes nonchalance.

- What do you mean you hit Miles, Jamal? Explain this to me! - I turn off the television and focus on the boy, who is now eating some of the Oreo cookies he stole from me.

-I just knocked. - he answers vaguely.

- Why did you do that, Jamal?

- Do you think I shouldn't have done it? - he raises his eyebrows.

-I didn't mean that, I just think things can't be resolved through violence.

He looks away at the program playing and turns up the volume.

- This program is awesome! - He tries to change the subject.

Irritated, I unplug the television, returning to sit next to him, this time facing him, waiting for an answer.

- He said horrible things about you. — He confesses softly.

-I know how to defend myself, Jamal. - I respond in the same tone.

- I know you know, Madison. But I hate the fact that you were locked in the house for two days because of him! - Jamal passes his hand over his face, a little irritated.

- This isn't his fault. - I lie, looking away from the floor.

-Oh no!? I heard Charlotte and Riley talking, Madison. What you're going through right now is all fucking Miles' fault.

- No, I'm really weak. I don't have enough fucking courage to face him and all those judgmental looks. - I murmur.

My eyes fill with tears, but I hold them back.

I can't cry. I can't cry. I can't cry.

- Hey... - Jamal holds my chin, and lifts my face, making me look into his beautiful brown orbs. - You're so fucking strong, Madison. Ignore Miles, Audrey, or anyone else. Think about yourself. Only on you.