Chapter 1

I often wonder why people know so much about one topic. It always makes me so confused.

I was staring down at the small pond in front of me. I was moving a stick through the water, my gloved hands having a good grip on the moving stick.

What's the point in it? Why focus on one certain thing and learn so much about it?

I watched a frog jump by me. I smiled slightly before noticing a lily nearby. My eyes lit up as I grabbed it, putting it behind my ear, tucking my hair.

I'm currently 7 years old. I was wearing my favorite light blue dress. I continued moving the stick through the water. The orphanage about 100 yards away from me was looking as sad as every day.

But why? People just devote themselves to one thing, and obsess over it. Why?

I was playing with the stick until a rock was suddenly thrown at my face.

"Ah!" I looked at whoever did that.

Timothy laughed. He walked over to me with his mean friends.

"What are you doing,
Y/n? Don't you have any friends? Oh wait!" He laughed.

I tried to hold back my tears, "You go away, Timothy!"

"Why no friends, Y/n?! I know! Because you're a disease!"

I looked down at my gloved hands and at the face mask covering my mouth and nose.

"You'll never be anything besides the plague!" Another kid laughed.

"HEY!" A voice shouted angrily.

I looked to my right.

My big brother Asher was walking towards them, angry.

"A-asher!" Timothy's eyes widened.

Asher pushed Timothy into the pond. Everyone else looked scared.

"Stay away from my little sister!" Asher shouted at them, "Got it?!"

"I.."

"ANSWER ME, TIMOTHY! GOT IT?!"

"I got it!"

"Now, go!"

They all ran off.

Asher sighed and looked at me. He smiled gently, "Are you alright, Y/n?" He kneeled down to my level as I was also on my knees in front of the pond.

"I'm sorry.. It's my fault.."

"Don't say that, Y/n. Timothy needed some discipline anyway."

Everyone was scared of my brother because he always stood up for me. He's 16 years old. He had my hair color too and had the face of an angel. Most girls in our orphanage would giggle about how cute they thought he was.

"Ah, damn. Your nose is bleeding." He slowly took off my face mask.

"Asher! No!" I pulled my face away.

"Calm down, Y/n. You know well that your sickness cannot affect me."

He was right. He was immune.

I always wore white gloves and my white face mask at all times due to my sickness. I don't know what it is. No one knows what it is.

All I know is that if anyone touched me without my mask or gloves on me, they'd die.

People tried making a cure to my sickness because Asher was immune, but it didn't work. It just made it worse.

Asher looked at the lily in my hair, "Oh, it's messed up." He chuckled softly, moving it back in place. "Did you put that in your hair because you know that's my favorite flower?"