Chapter 5. The Story Within.

Ethan’s Story:

He was in his loft, on the far west side of the civilization. Sitting on his couch watching the morning news from The Stanley Global about the false outbreak warning of Lepers, infesting the another part of the civilization.  “ Yes Mark, we’re downtown looking around at the destruction of the mayhem that took place last night in the civilization leaving hundreds injured and fourteen people dead!” Said The news reporter with a serious look on her face while the view took off to a scene of aftermath of what looked like horror. His maid brought a cup of tea to his chair on a tray, with holographic news paper, and Cam-Pod; or mini recorder and monitor in your palm. “ Gracias, Maria,” Ethan said as he reached for his tea and Cam-Pod setting it up as he began to shuffle it around for angel to see himself in the monitor.  He was in his living room next to the fire. He turned on the Cam- Pod and began his daily chat with his father who slaved away at Icon Towers to put together giant project that he said,” would change the World.” “ Hello Ethan,” he said as a view of his father’s lab was all he could see at first. “ Hey Dad, what’s going on I got a message from Maria to call you?! Said Ethan looking back at him Through the monitor. “ Well Mr. Rosthwind likes the new toy I built him!” said Dr. Nicholas Thorn now fully in view of the screen. His father was aging it seemed that he had barely ever seen him since Icon hired him. “ So Mr. Rosthwind is finally satisfied, huh?!” Asked Ethan sarcastic. “ How have you been Ethan?!” Asked his father while he rumbled in the back of the room exposing the new Machiena as his coat moved the camera into its direction. Ethan studied the look of it as he knew what he looking at was classified. The camera turned back as Ethan repositioned himself as if not to be snooping glancing back at his father. Smiling he asked ,” So if pass the exams today what are you getting me?!” “ Ethan your my son, if I know if your any as much as smart as I am, and you are!” He began. Looking sincere I saw Maria bring in another device, a flash-com as she set it on the table.

Pushing the button appeared a holographic image of a Craft Bike like nothing else. It’s body curved from front to back in a slick way as the drive pit was cushioned with nice leather and the dash had updated technology as well as beautiful head lights. “ This Is mine?! Asked Ethan excited to see his new vehicle.  “ It’s parked in your parking spot right now!” Said his father as he loved to see his son so happy. “ I hope this makes up for me not being able to be present at your party this weekend?! Blurted Dr. Thorn watch his son’s pure excitement go to semi- un- thrilled. “ What do you mean, it’s my birthday, I’ll be twenty- six?!” Asked Ethan dying down his enthusiasm. “ Ethan, Icon is moving forward with things and need my assistance to do so,” said his father now fixing parts and bouncing in between pieces of a machiena. “ I will call you on the weekend before I head to the Sister Civilization okay?!” He said sounding concerned. “ Okay dad!” Said Ethan now walking down the hall of his large loft and stared out the giant window. Hanging up the phone he looked at the morning sky filled with air traffic. Then after a while he got ready in his room for class. Throwing his school uniform on he Checked himself in the mirror. “ looking good!” he said to himself then headed to the door of his enormous place. On the way to the elevator he passed teenagers playing handheld holographic video games next to each other. Ethan smiled lightly holding back excitement to see the new Blast Bike in his parking square. Down the elevator of his building he was givin a window view of the inside lobby and levels of housing in the very fancy loft complex. Only the mega rich could afford such a place as it looked beautiful, with chandeliers and large plants and fine art on every wall, gave a great rich touch to the modern architecture.  Walking out the lobby he stepped outside to the what seemed dream like view of future human existence before his eyes. Large to small craft Vehicles drove every where in the air lane as street vendors and panhandling ruled the walkways. Getting to his parking unit he went to his parking square and pushed his hand on a scan pad on the wall of the unit.  Most parking squares could only hold up to two craft Vehicles, but as it was Ethan son of now the Famous Doctor. Nicholas Thorn had four parking blocks. The parking square opened up reveling all his vehicles on a lift. He rotated the lift to lower his new vehicle down as it slowly did. Other people walking to their parking units stopped to admire his new toy. Hopping on he fired up the engine and lifted into the air above him. After letting the craft bike roar and warm its self up, he revved the engine and hit the Ario-kit which turned the boosters up, now allowing him to hit the gas and drive forward. He was an experienced Craft driver learning how to drive a craft at the age of nine. Pushing the gas he sped up and out of the parking garage. Ascending up to the sky and air traffic his dash lit up a GPS air traffic screen on his dash window. Ethan hit the gas and took off into air traffic, wide grin on his face, as he blasted off to The University.

Flying through traffic he could smell the different foods cooking as he weaved and out, and in-between other flying vehicles. Finally getting to The University of Liberty-Rien an academy opened up after the war to represent a new common ground and invited outside civilizations to attend given the differences that the world had in the past. Walking  up to the doors of the main hall Ethan saw his friends all standing by the doorway as they laughed and joked before class. “ Ethan you made it!” shouted Chelsea his best friend, and biggest fan of his. Chelsea was younger by a few years, as she went to the university to study journalism, pursuing after her big sister at the news station of The Stanley Global. “ hey Chelsea!” He waved as he walked up to her, Ashley a transfer student from The Great London Cities, and Queenshire. Her boyfriend Harrison, same age as Ethan tall, and going to school for AI science and Operating. “ What, you really think Ethan would miss his last exam of the semester?!”Joked Cameron his other friend and new to the full group. Cameron was in Icon Soldier, training for the last year doing book text learning, and physical training, using the aquatic center and gymnastic room for some courses. “ Of course I made it!” laughed Ethan as they headed inside the large main hall. As they walked down the corridors passing groups of other people the conversation switched up to Ethan’s party this coming weekend. “ Ethan, have you even thought of what your going to do for the party this weekend?” Asked Ashley in a British accent  as it was thick and you could tell she was trying to practice American English. “ No not yet, I was waiting to see if my father was coming to visit but damn Icon has him berried in his work.” Ethan explained as he and the group go to the room where the exam would be. They all sat down in desks that surrounded the teacher who was busy marking papers and tablets just after her last classroom of people.

Picking up the Answer Tablet, Ethan turned it on and entered in his school identity.  The teacher hit a button on a panel next to her as an AI popped out from the other side of the desk and stood before the teacher. “ please be ready to start, and finish your given test exam today.” Said The humanoid Machiena as it walked a bout explaining rules and handing out text papers. As they all received their test, a bell rang in the hallway. “ We will begin!” said the teacher behind the desk. And as so Ethan took his exam.

After a few hours Ethan was done with his exam. The bell rang in the hallway again and it was time to stop. Cameron looked defeated as Chelsea and Ashley seemed content. Stepping out into the hallway the group barley said a word. But as they got to the outer doors of the Main hall conversation came back to them. “ You think we passed?!” Asked Chelsea to Ashley seeming still confident in herself.  “ Only on way to find out!” shouted Cameron ahead as they reached the parking garage. “ A beer, at the Drunken Stool!” He continued watching everyone laugh. “Sure!” said Ethan looking at them all. Then they got into their craft Vehicles and followed each other to the bar.

Ethan reflected on his test as he drove his new Blast Bike down town to the bar.

Getting there, they parked and went inside as the scene changed to a loomy lit bar with cheap upholstery and scuffed floors. They all sat at a booth as eyes from drunk old people looked the rich kids up and down. A holographic waiter came up and took orders for the kitchen and bar. Ordering their drinks Ethan looked around the bar. He glanced at someone he thought he knew, getting up from the table to get the drinks Ethan walked up to the man. “ Anthony?!” He asked the random guy sitting at the bar slouched over, drunk. “ Who the fuck are you?!” Asked the man turning around to the name. “ It’s me, Ethan!” Ethan responded as he could see that who he once knew was going down hill or was already there. “ Remember me from The University year two?” Asked Ethan as his face was trying to press a haply vibe to such a torn man. “Oh yeah, your that one guy, Erick, Aaron?” He asked drunk learning back looking wildly at him. “Ethan, my names Ethan we had first and third class together!” Continued Ethan as he grabbed his drinks from a bartender. Anthony was intoxicated, and looked to need some help. He remembered him in school how nice he was and it took away from Ethan to see him so lost. Ethan took his drinks to the table joining in their conversation as he passed everyone a drink and sat down. “ So who cares we are all almost done with school!” said Ashley as she lifted up her glass. They all cheered to that and drank. They laughed again, and the night carried on. Ethan looked out the bar window a bit to the highly advanced future they lived in. He had a good life and money , and it was just getting better.