27} Forgive But Can't Forget

I could feel the confetti landing on my shoulders, the sounds of people cheering around us, and the cold air pressing against my skin.

But the only thing running through my mind, is the fact that Louis' lips are connected to mine.

I don't know what came over us, but I liked it.

His strong arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me in closer. Through his jacket, I lifted my hands and cupped his cheek as we leaned into the kiss. There was no space between us, nothing holding us back.

Maybe it was in my mind, but as his lips against mine felt like a million fireworks going off in a parade of happiness, and I hoped it would never end.

How could something so wrong, feel so right?

He slowly breaks the kiss, but barely pulls away. His soft, blue eyes are filled with love and care, never breaking eye contact. I could stay like this forever. But there was something in the back of my mind telling me otherwise.

Then reality snaps into me.

No, no, no. This is wrong. Completely wrong. Oh my god, what did I do?

I step back and try to get my space back, but Louis holds onto my hands with a questionable look. His face suddenly gets worried and it just breaks my heart, but I can't help it. This isn't right.

"No, Louis." I vaguely say, "Th-This isn't right."

"What do you mean?" Louis' voice softly, softly asks.

"This isn't right." My voice shakes, "We-We... I can't do this, I'm sorry."

I turn around and twist my wrists out of his grip, but he holds on.

"Jessica, we can fix this. Please, Jessica." His eyes and voice begs for mercy, and I just can't take it anymore.

The damn tears are already streaming down my face as I look into his beautiful, fragile eyes.

"But I can't. I'm sorry, Louis." I finally say, but I was barely able to make out the words with my cracking voice.

His face breaks right before me and all the life in him seems to be sucked out. It hurts like hell, but when he loosens his grip, I just have let go and walk away.

I push passed all the celebrating people as I cry my eyes out on the grass. I turn around to get one last glance at Louis and it was a mistake, because it would forever be in the back of my mind.

Louis stands in the same spot, he hasn't moved or anything. It's like he was shot with a bullet - his eyes were dull, his face was lifeless, and with just one push it seems like he would fall to the ground. But most importantly, his eyes were filled with water just like mine as they trailed down his face.

His broken eyes met my broken eyes, and it said a million things. I don't know how long it was, but it felt like a lifetime until Louis couldn't take it anymore and bent his head down as he scrunched his face up in pain.

I jerk my head forward because if I were to see him in pain any more, I'd have a mental breakdown.

I have no idea where I was headed, but I just needed to get away. I just needed to get out of here, or make things better.

My unstable body couldn't find Skylar anywhere, so I just stumped onto a seat next to the bar. I softly cry to myself, trying not to draw any attention whatsoever.

All around me, people are dancing with loved ones and having a great time - while I'm sitting here in the corner of the bar, alone, and broken. I can't believe my New Years turned into this.