22} Nerd

"No!" I scream, "Stop! That's not fair!"

"Then stop hitting me with those damn turtles!" Louis protests and continues to press random buttons on my controller.

Somehow Louis convinced me to play Mario Kart with him, and now we've been playing it for three hours straight. At first, I thought it was just going to be a nice game we used to play when we were kids, but instead it turned into an official war.

"Ha, yes! Browser wins again!" Louis cheers in my face.

I scoff, "Only because you fucking cheated, you butt."

"I told you - you shouldn't have picked Luigi, he's sloooow."

"Whatever. Rematch, but this time I'll choose Princess Peach." I say as I stuff a bite of sandwich into my mouth.

"No more rematches," Louis laughs and gets up.

"What? I just-"

"Nope. We've been sitting around all day, come on, let's go out somewhere."

I look at him, "Did you forget I have an unconscious ankle?"

He lightly chuckles, "Let's go down to the book store, you don't have to move much there."

I sigh, "But I don't wanna go anywhere."

"Come on Jess, lets be... active? No, let's be productive. Yea, let's be productive today, Jess."

I groan, "I can't even get up."

Louis immediately walks over and grabs my arm to help me up, completely catching me by surprise. I get up with a loud "Whoo!" and suddenly realize I'm standing up - standing merely two inches away from Louis.

His face is right in front of mine as he stares at me with his grasp still on my arm. We stand in silence together until I finally gather my senses.

Abruptly, I jerk back and step a good two feet away from him, "Um, I'll go get ready."

With nothing else said, I wobble up to my room but this time with a little less awkwardness as I climb up the stairs. The only awkwardness is the silence between Louis and I from what just happened.

I stumble up the stairs, avoiding eye contact and try to my way up the least bit of awkward.

Once I got upstairs, I shut my door and gather my thoughts. What just happened?

Louis' simple gesture made my mind go crazy. The way we were two inches apart from each other, the way his breaths were right there, just his presence-

No, stop. He's not worth it anymore.

I ignore all my thoughts about that. But sadly, I have to admit, I liked it. I liked his presence, especially right next to me.

I shake my head and push out those thoughts. It was just in the moment. We are nothing, barely even friends anymore. He's just here to help. That's it.

Proceeding to get ready, I throw on a sweater and some yoga pants. It's the weekend and I have an injured ankle, I do not have the motivation to look decent today.

I walk downstairs - more like trip - and meet Louis at the front door. Before we leave, I grab my beanie from the coat rack and place it on my head. Louis opens the door for me and I step out into the frigid air.

Like a gentleman, Louis opens the door to his car for me but I take my seat without a word. Once he gets into his seat, he begins to start the car but opens up the compartment area and grabs a pair a glasses.