26} Becoming Closer

I keep tapping the waiting chair and bobbing my knees up and down, trying to get my mind off of whats behind the doors. The doctor's is not the place I want to be in, but I have to.

"Jess, are you worried?" Louis asks beside me, chuckling to himself.

"Do you even have to ask? Of course I am," I say frustrated.

He places a hand on my shoulder, "Don't worry, they're the people that prevent deaths. And even if they do kill you, I'll make sure to throw you a rockin' funeral."

"Louis!" I say annoyed as I watch him crack himself up.

"Sorry, love. But seriously, you'll be fine. This is a good thing, you get to finally take this load of your leg." He pats my ankle and smiles.

"Easier for you to say." I groan, "How the fuck are they gonna take it off anyway?"

"With a chainsaw." Louis answers while casually looking at a magazine.

"Your literally an asshole." I say as he continues to laugh to himself.

For the past week, Louis and I have been spending a lot of time together after his little birthday party. We've been hanging out just like old times, but I can't help but feel there's just the slightest bit of awkward between the two of us that won't go away. But at least Louis and I are reconnecting, and I love it.

"Jessica Branson?" A middle-aged nurse asks aloud from the door.

I raise my hand in response but immediately bring it down and stand up instead. Why was I even raising my hand? I'm not in school.

Louis stands beside me as well and helps me make my way towards the door. We purposely forgot my crutches since I'm gonna take off the cast afterwards, it would seem like I didn't need them.

The both of us wobble behind the nurse, following her to a room. We probably look fucking awkward and idiotic, but that's what makes it fun.

The nurse opens the door for us, "That's such a nice boyfriend you have there."

I immediately correct her, "We-We're not dating. We're just really good friends, you know?"

"Oh, that kind of relationship." She smiles.

I give Louis a look, What kind of relationship?

He shrugs his shoulders and gives me the same, confused look. But we both brush it off and decide to question about it later.

When we enter the room and suddenly I could hear my heart beat louder. Some people have a fear of spiders, others have a fear of clowns - well, mine's is the doctor's.

I don't know why it freaks me out, but it does. All the weird instruments and machines they use really freaks me out, especially when it's being used on me.

"Can you step on the scale for me?" The nurse points the the weight scale.

I hesitantly step onto it and wait until she gets my weight down. Then, she checks the rest of my vital signs - eyesight, reactions, etc. But the worst part was when they checked my blood pressure. I hated it.

The creepy thing that wraps around your arm and squeezes the life out of it to check your blood pressure somehow is now only a few inches away from me. I look at it like its on fire.

"Are you okay, dear?" The nurse asks.

"Sorry, she just has phobia of the doctor's. It's okay, though." Louis steps in and holds my hand.

The nurse laughs, "Don't worry, dear. Nothing will hurt you, you're in good hands."

Louis winks at me, "Yea, your in good hands, Jess."