19. Aaryan

My assistant just came through the open doors with a knock, alerting me of her arrival when I looked up. She smiled and offered me my morning coffee with a good morning wish. I returned it with a smile, took a sip of my coffee, and got started with the day. This is my routine almost every day. I set up my table, take my seat, and wait for Tina, my assistant, to complete her routine tasks. She arranges my table with the files that need my attention, updates the notepad with the series of meetings I need to go through, and gets me a fully filled water bottle on my table.

I read today's newspaper and sip my coffee while I wait for her to finish her tasks.

After she has gone through my daily activities, we discuss upcoming meetings.

I get ready for the day ahead after Tina departs.

I last spoke to Maya two days ago. She doesn't feel like herself anymore. She used to always be excited to talk , but now she avoids my phone calls.

I once wondered, "Does she even understand what distress feels like?" I am sorry I thought that. She is going through what she is going through, in my opinion, as a result of that.

Although it's stupid of me to believe it, I've never seen her look so disheartened. In these three weeks, I have never witnessed her cry.

When the faculty at her school bullied her, she remained unswayed. When I questioned her ability to teach, she remained unfazed. I told her she was annoying, but she always responded with a smile. That smile is now nowhere to be found.

I forced my thoughts of her out of my head. Zara always responds well when I inquire about her wellbeing. She practically doesn't know me, so it's best to give her some space.

--

I only had my assistant visit me once again an hour into my day. She started speaking as I turned to give her the attention she needed: Sir, I've just learned that Mrs. Aaryan has arrived at the workplace."

That's the first I've ever heard.

I raised an inquiring gaze.

"Who?"

"Mrs. Maya Aaryan?"

I looked at her as if I were very delighted to hear her say that, because I was. She ultimately made the decision to resume her job. I believed I wouldn't ever see her again. I had assumed she would never show up, but only one week remains.

Just the thought hurts me so much.

She is now part of my daily routine. In these three weeks, I've thought of her more than I'd like to admit. I'm starting to like her more. She became comfortable.

I can't help but smile a little at the thought.

"Where is she now?"

I don't mind that she refers to Maya as my wife when I ask. The thought doesn't bother me.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I believe I want her to be one.

Again, I have no problem with the idea.

"She's in the pantry, sir."

I give her a slight nod before making my way toward her. I just want to speak to her after the incident. I want to know she's okay. I can't wait to get there so I can finally meet her.

I walk through the people moving around in the lobby and reach the pantry on time because I heard one of my employees ask her about our relationship.

"Yet," I said, cutting her off because I didn't know I was an idiot. It just came into my mind, and I just voiced it out.

She gives me a wide-eyed gaze. Great. How would I now go about convincing her that it was just my impulse to speak?

I'm greeted by the man, who then resumes his work. I advance and reach out to her.

I take a look at the sandwich she bought herself.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" I asked her first in an attempt to distract her from the ridiculousness of what I just said.

"No, I didn't, uh. Wait! Yet? Yet, what do you mean? Have you ignored my suggestion that I'm just a coworker and not your wife?" She inquires.

It's a shame that she won't forget it.

I simply said, "I didn't want the hassle that comes with it," and shrugged. " Just let it be. I have 15 floors of people working in this building, and even if I clarify, it's never going to reach all their ears, and I never confirmed too!" I said it in the hopes that she would agree, but she gave me a stern look. " Okay, up until this point, which I sort of had to Just let it be." I repeat it.

She simply says, "Fine." Wow, I really didn't think she'd ever get it. If I were, I might have demanded that the other person make it clear to everyone, if that makes any difference. I am aware of my selfishness.

I wasn't sure how to begin the discussion. She is undoubtedly dreading the questions I'm going to ask her.

I chose not to inquire.

We sat down.

She begins by saying, "The vertical gardening thing is nice." Even though I am aware of what she is saying, I don't question it.

"That's the only thing, you know, that makes us realize we aren't robots. You become disconnected from life when you work in the tech sector." I explain my reasoning.

She simply stares at me, acting as if she already knows how it feels and is at a loss for words.

I breathed deeply and started to speak again when the receptionist interrupted me. She came to let me know about my job.

I give Maya a quick glance and tell her I'll meet her later this evening. She simply nods her head while stuffing sandwiches into her mouth. She is absolutely adorable. Cute.

---

*WordCount 964*

---