12. Maya

The next day, I proceeded with my morning routine, my mind buzzing with thoughts of the upcoming meeting with Aaryan. I couldn't help but wonder what he wanted to discuss with me. It was all so sudden and unexpected. My heart fluttered with nervous excitement, and I checked my phone every few minutes, hoping for a message or call from Aaryan. This would confirmthe meeting time and place.

As the clock struck three in the afternoon, I eagerly packed up my belongings and bid farewell to my colleagues. I could not concentrate on anything else. My mind was focused on the meeting ahead. I kept looking at my phone, hoping for communication from Aaryan, but there was still nothing.

It was almost 3 in the evening and Sidharth was talking to me about something and unconsciously I started walking with him to his car. He opened the passenger door for me but I might not need to go home early today. What if I have to meet him somewhere near the school, I'm not sure.

I stood there looking at Sidharth standing there with his passenger door wide open for me.

"Eh, Sidharth, I might not go home today. I have someone to meet and I still am not sure about the venue" I said with uncertainty.

"Oh okay, so should I wait until you know the venue so I can drop you off there?" He said. I dislike it. The fact that he goes above and beyond for my comfort, sometimes it's ok but everytime feels so clingly. I feel ashamed to even have this thought but I just don't like the feeling. I observed this a lot during our work too.

I was about to say no when I got a call.

"Hello!" I said knowing it was Aaryan.

"Maya" he paused "Can you tell me where you are right now?"

"I'm still at school. Where do you want me to meet you?"

"No just wait there, I'm almost there."

"Ok", I replied, and I saw the line dead shortly after.

I looked up to see Sidharth looking at me.

"In fact, he is coming to pick me up." I fade away.

"Oh," hesounded disappointed. "I'll wait until he arrives."

He closed the passenger seat door and leaned against it. We just stood there. I didn't want to start a conversation for two reasons. One I feel all guiddy knowing Aaryan is coming to pick me up. Two,I just don't feel like talking to someone I talk to most of the time.

"So-" he started a conversation but quickly cut himself when a car approaching us.

"Is that the car you're waiting for?" He asked me.

I see a sedan coming my way. I think whoever is riding it has never ridden it on roads before.It looks like it's brand new and expensive.

"I think so," I replied.

As the black car approached me, we watched closely. It stopped before me and my phone buzzed shortly after.

I saw a message from Aaryan saying 'get in the car'

Woah, that was rude too. Clearly, he needs to work on his social skills.

I turn around to see Sidharth in a shock. He looks disappointed? IDK

"I think my ride has arrived. I'll leave now." I inform and Sidharth stops me by my hand.

"Is that your boyfriend?" He asked me.

I laughed with a frown and walked towards the car. Although I did not deny his suspicion, I did not accept it either. Maybe I did it to keep him at bay. So he understands I'm off limits.