2.Aaryan

I strode through the hallways of the school, my polished black shoes clicking loudly against the tile floor. I was in a bad mood today, even worse than usual. Morning had started off badly with a series of phone calls from my office about some new crisis that needed my attention. And now I had to deal with this tedious school visit, which I had agreed to because my PR thought it would be good for my public image and also company's image.

I work for a Tech company and expanding that business to schools will bring us some profit so we've also been thinking about investing in this particular school and also provide infrastructure.

I like giving away my money because I have enough to live comfortably but I hate putting my time into something that seems no worth.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't see the small, curly-haired woman in front of me until it was too late. I collided with her and she stumbled backward, nearly falling to the ground.

"Watch where you're going!" I snapped, my annoyance growing by the second. I was already in a foul mood, and this clumsy woman was only making it worse.

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled, her cheeks flushing and her big brown eyes widening. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

I grunted and brushed past her, my frustration mounting with every step. I didn't have time for this kind of nonsense. 

---

As soon as I opened the door that had "Principal" written on a metal plate, I was met with a woman smiling as brightly as the sun, which was not real at all.

"Mr. Aaryan, I'm Aileen, the principal of this school, and I'm pleased to meet you." Well, I doubt.

I extended my hand to greet her with a handshake, taking the seat before her mahogany desk.

"Thank you very much for taking time from your schedule and taking a few sessions."

"Yeah, no issues. Did my assistant provide you my schedule and the times I'm free for the sessions? "

"Yes, she did, and we've already issued the notice!" She said and explained what I needed to do, she also mentioned a specific Math teacher, Ms. Neha Sharma , who I assume was going to help me with students, but aside from that, I have an entire month to myself and some young minds to create something interesting. So, before I leave, I intend to make a good impression of myself.

"If that's all, then I'd like to go and have a look around the campus if that's ok with?"

"Absolutely, no problem. I can go with you to show you around." She offered.

"No, thank you, that won't be necessary. I'll look around for a second, and I'll leave." I got a nod along with a small 'if you insist' , and I nod back, leaving her space.

---

I wasn't looking where I was going; I had been speaking to my assistant over the phone about stuff, and by the time I looked up and cut my call, I saw children, probably about 5 or 6 years, rushing into their classrooms across the ground I was in. There are 3 blocks, all 3 for kindergarteners; I guess there was a change of period, and I see the same woman who bumped into me later today going into the classroom happily bouncing on her toes with a bright smile and a bunch of colored papers and daisies?! 

I leaned against the wall, arms crossed over my chest, I watched as she made her way across the play space. Her steps were a little clumsy as she stumbled over her own saree.

I couldn't help the grumble that escaped my lips. Why was she so cheerful? Wasn't she just about to trip and die? It was almost irritating but funny. At the same time, I found myself amused by her antics. The way she tripped over nothing; the way she grinned at the kids she passed by; the way she hummed a tune under her breath.*sigh* She noticed no one but the children.

I shook my head, trying to push the thoughts away. I wasn't here to admire her; I was here to help out at the school. But try as I might, my eyes kept returning to her. watching her as she crouched down to tie a little boy's dirty shoelaces, handing out the daisies to a group of toddlers who giggled kissing her.

I would also be doing the same if my kindergarten teacher brought me flowers. I bet she's the favorite among children.

Then she caught my eye, and I quickly looked away, pretending to be interested in the clouds above. I didn't want her to know I was watching her.

As the kids began to line up for class, she made her way towards me with a smile on her face. "Hey," she said, her voice light and happy. "Are you looking for someone?"

I didn't respond, still feeling a little agitated by her optimism she doesn't seem to realise. But as I watched her interact with the children who wouldn't leave her, I couldn't help but feel a warmth spreading through me. Maybe it was her infectious energy, or maybe it was something else entirely. I still didn't respond, and before she was about to say something, I turned to leave. It's better to stay away from her; I wouldn't want her infectious optimism all over me.

As I turned to leave, there was a small smile playing at the corners of my lips. Maybe I didn't mind her optimism so much after all.

And that thought just irritates me.

---

word count: 999

---