16. Maya

Trigger Warning: This chapter includes a brief mention of suicidal thoughts. Reader discretion is advised. If you or someone you know is struggling with these feelings, please seek help from a mental health professional or a trusted individual.

---

I thanked Aaryan for the ride and went inside. When I got a call, I had just begun changing my clothes. I grabbed my phone to see who it was. It was my mother. I was overjoyed when she finally called me after such a long period.

I answered the call.

"Hello Ma!" I said.

"Hello beta, How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine, mumma; how are you?" I asked.

Tears form in my eyes after listening to her voice after such a long time. It's been almost a year since I spoke to her.

"Maya." She dragged her word at the end.

"Yes Ma!"

"Did you talk to her?" I heard my father's rough voice.

"She's on the call; I am talking to her."

"Tell her to be here as soon as possible. Tell her not to embarrass me again." I hear his gruff voice, even though I'm sure my mother covered the phone receiver.

Tears prick my eyes, and I want to cry at the way he's addressing me.

"What happened, Ma?" I ask.

She hesitated a bit but continued nonetheless.

"Your father wants you to marry."

My heart beats faster. I should have guessed it. Every year, they call me for one thing and only one thing.

"But Ma, you know I don't want to."

"Pay attention, you scumbag! I didn't start a charity to help you find a spouse. Because of you, I have lost all respect. They don't respect me. I asked only one thing, and you refused. The very least you can do is marry the man I chose for you, so I can be done with you. I don't want anyone to remind me of how much of a failure you are. You have no idea how painful it is to have such a disgraceful child. You should marry this guy since no one else is going to marry you. You don't have the intelligence or the beauty to attract a man. Simply abandon our lives."

I was crying while listening to the things my father said about me. No daughter would want to hear something like that from a person she once admired.

"I'm sorry, Papa," I simply say.

"Your sorry will do nothing; I literally had to beg for this alliance, and on top of that, they've asked for 1.8 million dowry. The guy is in the civil service, and he is from a very respected family. You marrying him will only gain me the respect you made me lose. I've done so much in your life. What have we not done for you? For us to see this day? For us to let our heads down in front of all the people. They were correct; having a daughter is always a bad omen. I've provided you with all the luxuries you've ever wanted. You should rot every night thinking about all the disgrace you've got us." He says.

I just sobbed listening to him speak.

"What are you crying for now? huh? Are you crying at the fact that you had a father who bought you everything you ever needed, or are you crying at the fact that you're going to marry a guy who is an IAS officer? Have you ever in your life behaved as a woman? "

I couldn't listen to him talk anymore. I just cut the call and sat on the floor. I got up and frantically searched for my facial razor.

(For those who don't know what a facial razor looks like, I've linked the picture above.)

Once I found it, I opened the cap and took it off my wrist.

Just one slice, and it's done. You'll be done with the torture. My brain said I don't want to do it. I have to stop.

No, I shouldn't stop. I should do it. I took the blade from my wrist to my neck.

Just. One. Slice.

My brain kept saying.

No, no, no, no.

What am I doing?

Why am I doing this?

I shouldn't do it.

My phone, my phone

"H-Hello Zara?" I said it as soon as I felt like she picked up the call.

I didn't get any response I looked at my phone screen to see if she had picked up.

Aaryan?

I called Aaryan.

"Oh Shit!" I cut the call.

---

Disclaimer:As the author of this content, I want to make it unequivocally clear that I do not support, endorse, or condone any forms of self-harm or suicide. The intention behind my work is to provide positive, educational, and helpful information that promotes well-being, mental health, and personal growth. If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of self-harm or suicide, please seek immediate help from a mental health professional, a counselor, a therapist, a doctor, or a helpline in your country. Remember that there is always support available, and you are not alone in your journey. Your life is valuable, and seeking help is a sign of strength.

---

The scenes I write are heavily inspired from my personal experience. I've learned how valuble one's life is.

Don't worry I have never really harmed my self in any way, intentionally. I had thoughts of doing it but I'm proud about the fact that I've fought those urges back. I've seeked medical help and I'm in a good mental space now.

---

WordCount 880

---