9. Aaryan

I got out of the driver's seat and took out a model of what I've worked on to demonstrate students the basics that we are going to work on. I heard a soft laugh as I strode towards the classes and halted to look at the source sensing a familiarity in the voice and it was Maya.

The gods above genuinely don't want me to live peacefully, it feels as if everybody is having the time of their lives and here I am, sulking without even a reason.

I just, I don't know- I want to know what exactly they are talking about but I don't want to make it obvious. Woah talk about being nosy!   

Ugh! Aaryan, you've never- in 29-years of golden life- ever seen a creature like her and that's the ONLY reason you are intrigued. 

yeah that's it!

Nothing else, for sure.

I'm simply going insane over this bizarre monster, and god forbid she is turning me into her.

I shake my head and leave for the class and keep my cardboard model on the desk and I have few minutes over 15 for children to arrive so I guess it's time if I go and check if the principal is present.

I walk towards the mahogany door that clearly gave away the fact of this school being built for few more than half a century now and I ask the nearest peon for Mrs. Aileen.

I enter the room after knocking, once, I got the conformation and I was quickly offered to sit.

"Good Morning Mr. Singh, so what is it you wanted to talk?"  Mrs. Aileen said as soon as I sat down.

"yes, I'll come straight to the point and I apologise if I'm blunt but I don't like working with Ms. Sharma, she is not the right partner for me."

"but it's just been 1 day-" I cut off her justifications.

"Look Mrs. Aileen, I'm here to teach and I'll only be here for half the time so I need a partner to take care of their doubts on the other days and I don't think she's capable of doing so, if this all was just to pass time, you should've told me first so I can just be here for the sake of being here. I take each and every thing very seriously and you know it" I just wanted her to consider giving me someone else.

She nodded her head hesitantly and stayed silent for a moment maybe contemplating what to say and finally opens her mouth but we were interrupted by a knock on the door. I turned to look who it was and saw the guy with Maya standing by the door wanting to come in to which Mrs. Aileen gave permission, just adding more to my already building temper.

"Hello Mr. Mehrotra, please have a seat!"

Isn't he Maya's friend or maybe boyfriend, why is he here?

"Aaryan Singh! you can call me Sidharth" he said forwarding his hand.

I hesitated but gave a firm handshake.

He has casual clothes on, too casual to be worn in the school premises. Mrs. Aileen seemed to notice but didn't say anything.

"What brings you here, early in this morning?"

"Mrs. Aileen, if you don't mind, me and Maya plan on something for the school fair" He said.

"Yeah, What is it?" She said showing interest in what he has to say.

"We would like to conduct few activities-" He started and I was furious. I was sitting right there. Couldn't he have waited a bit longer?

They went on and on, and finally they agreed on their plans, which I paid no attention to.

"Mr. Aaryan if it's ok with you?" Mrs. Aileen asked.

I was clueless of what was happening and she seemed to notice that and repeated.

"Sidharth is also one of the guests we invited. He and Ms. Maya seem to have different plans of doing what they want to do so they are planning their activities every other day so from the 3 days you don't have your class in the week 2 days Ms. Maya would be free so if it's ok with you I can assign her to you along with Sidharth and he seems to be ok with it"

"Maya, isn't there anyone else who's free?" I asked.

"I'm afraid no, because we only have the staff who's to work for the month and looking at the schedule I think only Maya has a little liberal time table" She explained.

"if you say so, but I expect her to work well." I said.

"I can assure you this much that she'll do her job the best." Sidharth interrupted.

Oh so he knows her too well that he can vouch for her?

"I'd like to speak to her first." I said getting up and paying no attention to the guy beside me.

I walked out of the room to see Maya there sitting on a bench and writing something in her book. I went close to her and and peaked in her book. I'm not gonna lie but she has one of the neatest handwritings I've ever seen.

She was quick to close the book before I could read what she was writing  and she woke up from the bench surprised to see me there.

"Hi?" She asked me.

"I need to talk to you." I said.

"Ok, is it about what Mrs. Aileen had said right now?" she was serious.

So she was there in the room few minutes ago?

"I just want you to remember, I deal with tech and science not some Shakespearean shit so when you deal with me keep that in mind and yeah I expect nothing but competence so please" I say.

"I understand, Mr. Singh. And I assure you that I will maintain professionalism while working with you" Maya replied politely.

I could sense her uneasiness around me, but I couldn't care less. I just needed to make sure she understood her place in our partnership.

"Good!" I turned around and started walking back to the classroom.

"Wait!" Maya called after me. "Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" I replied curtly turning around.

"Why do you hate me?" she asked, her eyes staring intently at me.

"I don't hate you," I scoffed. "I just don't trust you to be a good partner." 

I turned and started walking again.

"Why not?" she persisted.

I stopped in my tracks and sighed loud. "Look, I don't have time for this. Just do your job and we won't have any problems, okay?" I said before turning around and walking away again before she says something else.

As I made my way back to the classroom, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. Maybe I had been too harsh with her. But then again, I had to make sure she understood her place. I sighed and entered the classroom, ready to start the day's lesson.

---

*word count 1152*

---

I'm trying to make this book readable and unique but if you feel like you don't like something it's totally fine just inform me 

I'll try and fix it if I feel like it's something serious

---