15.Aaryan

After reaching my office, I soon realized I didn't actually have much work to do. I decided to call Maya.

"Where are you?" I asked as soon as she lifted the call.

"Still at the office, actually."

"Didn't everybody leave?" I asked, implying students.

"They left, actually, half an hour ago. At 4:45," She replied.

"Where exactly are you right now?" I asked, packing my files and about to leave.

"I'm in the cafeteria," She answered.

I cut the call and immediately headed towards the cafeteria. I saw my employees on the way and greeted them. Most people will be in the cafeteria because it is nearly the end of the day.

I approached her after spotting her beige saree among the sea of western outfits. I saw her browse through her phone. I tapped the table to gain her attention and took the seat opposite her. She looked up with those big brown eyes, curious as to who it was.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to head home with students?" I asked her.

"Yes, but I didn't have a ride home, so I'm waiting for my friend Zara. She works as a lawyer. She's running late, but don't worry, I'll wait. I've asked the security guard, and he told me there will be few people staying behind late in the evening, so it shouldn't be a problem." She says it with a smile.

"No, I'm heading to my home. I'll drop you." I offer, and before she can protest, I add, "You know your house gets in the way, right?" She sighs, and just then she gets a call for her order.

"See, I'm quite comfortable in here; don't worry."

When she gets up to fetch her order, I grab her hand and get out of my seat. I force her to sit down and go get her order.

On my way back, I see her laugh at me a little.

"What are you laughing at?" I raise my brows.

"You're probably giving your employees a heart attack." She says she is grabbing her order from my hand.

"Why do you say so?" I asked, taking one of the cookies she ordered.

"See around us," She says. "They are looking at you as if you are some alien. They probably have never seen their boss like this." She laughs at the end, and I just smile.

"They aren't looking at me. They're looking at you." I simply state

"What?" She looks around. I laugh.

"How are you so sure of it?" She asks.

"They think you are my wife."

"What!?" She says it a little louder; her eyes so wide.

"Now come on, come with me," I say, getting up and holding a hand out for her.

"And what are you doing?" She asks, eyeing my hand suspiciously.

"I'm just saving you from trouble."

"And how's that?"

"If I leave now, they'll swarm you with questions. So come with me."

"And confirm their suspicion?"

"It's better than staying here and explaining them."

Or maybe I do want them to keep thinking what they are thinking.

She just released a huge sigh and kept her purse in the hand I held out for her, making me laugh. She grabs the coffee cup, cookies, and her phone and signals me to move. All of this actually feels like we are a couple. Feels good.

---

We take our seats, and I start the car. I looked at the digital screen in my car to check the time; it was a few minutes past 5:30. I look beside me to see Maya peacefully drinking her coffee and looking out the window. I looked in front of me to see a red light, and I suddenly stopped, spilling her coffee all over her.

I quickly apologised and told her that there were tissues in the Glove Compartment. She opened the cabinet, and there was a dried flower on top of the tissue box. It was the same flower she gave me the day she came to say hi. I left it in there. I didn't feel like throwing it away.

She looks at it, but she says nothing. I take a deep breath. Maybe she doesn't remember.

I soon pull off at her house, and she thanks me and heads inside. I wait for a while and leave.

---

I arrived home. I know I started behaving weird. My thoughts became otherworldly. But I started liking it. Maybe after all this, I can actually ask her out.

I was in my own thoughts when I heard my phone go off. I looked at the screen when Maya's name appeared. Anand, it said.

I quickly picked it up. I was about to say hi when I heard her sob. My smile dropped. I heard her weep and take huge breaths. My heart ached for her. She sniffled a bit.

"H-Hello, Zara?" She called out She didn't call me; she was calling her friend. She didn't intend to call me.

I said nothing.

"Oh Shit-" The call was cut.

---(A/N)

It took me long time to establish this stage, now begins the story.

---

*WordCount 819*

---