1.Maya

My heart was pounding as I stumbled into the lecture hall, late and out of breath, and locked eyes with Mrs. Aileen, the school principal, a woman who demanded respect from her students and staff. Her posture was always straight, and her demeanor was serious, conveying a no-nonsense attitude. Her hair was pulled tightly back into a bun, and her clothing was always immaculate, suggesting a meticulous attention to detail. Mrs. Aileen's strictness was well known throughout the school. She spoke to me in a icy tone.

"Ms. Anand, at the very least today, I expected you to be on time." 

One of the wealthiest and most influential men in the nation is expected to pay a visit today, and not only is he expected to pay a visit, but he is also expected to stay and volunteer as a teacher. If there is anyone Mrs. Aileen is trying to impress, it is him. 

"I was talking to you, Ms. Anand; this is a conversation we're having, and please don't make me regret letting you participate."

"Certainly not, Mrs. Aileen; you can trust me on that; I won't let you down."

"I'm hoping not."

Every year, we have successful people fly in for a month and give a few lectures about their expertise at the school and we have a project to do with them. Our school is one of the biggest and most updated schools in the town, along with being the oldest; only God knows how I landed the job. This might be a private school, but its reputation is no less than a government one. No wonder we have the most influential people coming to teach our students. We have students from kindergarten to 12th grade in the same school, and while I teach English to high schoolers and Art to kindergarteners—I know, it can't get any more vibrant—my job is to teach high schoolers, but I love teaching kindergarteners. You can't blame me I like children. 

"I expect you to have a little punctuality while dealing with the guests." She pauses. "Have you even heard what I just told you?" I vigorously nodded my head; I didn't hear a single thing but she doesn't need to know that. 

My job is simple, I will be paired with someone-who? I don't yet know- since I'm an English teacher and they don't know whom to pair me with, all Mrs. Aileen is worried about, is, I'd mess up but I'm sure she'd give me a job where I have to do nothing, so if I have nothing to do then what can I possibly mess up. Right?

right?

---

word count 436

---