group projects are ew (oneshot)

(i started this in july trust me im actually so so sorry about the slow ass updates)

I've come back to the past for some reason. Or, well, I'm seeing past me in my dreams a lot. Hi, me. I seem lonely.

I'm playing twinkle twinkle little star on the piano again. Saki's at the hospital. So are mom and dad.

.
.
.

That wasn't very responsible or parent-like of them to leave their child home alone so often. Sure, I was capable of taking care of myself. But that's not the point.

I wish Saki hadn't had a fragile body. It's out of my control, yes, but it would've been happier for both of us. I wish she could've been happier then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, morning. My least favorite part of the day. I don't like having to get up at all.

"Tsukasa! Breakfast is ready!"

But I have to act like I'm fine with it.

"Good morning!"

"Haha, energetic as always, big bro!"

"Try to keep it down, okay? It's not the time to be yelling."

"Got it."

Eating breakfast, blah blah blah. Saki looks happier these days. Of course, she's out of the hospital. She's with her friends. I don't have very many friends.

Sometimes, I talk with Shizuku. Toya and I are also pretty good friends...

That's all. Sometimes, Saki's friends talk to me, but I feel like it's out of obligation. Plus, they're more her friends than mine anyway.

And I'm sure Shizuku and Toya have others they'd rather talk to as well.

Oh, am I at school?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School is so boring. The only reason I'm here is so I can keep my grades up, and so that my parents will at least look at me. I don't talk to others because I don't need to. Most of the work gets pushed onto me for group projects. It's not the way it's supposed to be done, but it's easier.

[Teacher]

"We'll be doing a two person project. As usual, I will be assigning the pairs..."

Ugh. Another one?

.

[Teacher]

"Tenma, Kamishiro."

"Hello there. It's nice to make your acquaintance. My name is Rui Kamishiro."

"Hi. Nice to meet you, too. I'm Tsukasa Tenma."

I tried to walk away, assuming he'd talk to one of his friends or something and let me do the work, but he lightly put his hand on my shoulder.

"Where are you going? We still have work to do."

"Oh... I thought you'd just let me do the work on my own."

"That's not how it's supposed to be. Hm... think of it as a one man show. Doing everything on your own is hard, isn't it? Especially when it's not even for you."

"...Yes."

"That's why we do pair and group projects. So that we can help each other and help the show go on. Right?"

"Right..."

It was weird how that made sense to me. And it sorta lifted my mood... just a little bit. Maybe this project wouldn't feel as tedious as the others.

"So, where should we start?"

"I think..."
*page flipping and stuff idk*
"...yeah, here should be good."

The project went over fine. I had an easier time with everything, seeing as Kamishiro seemed to know lots. He never told me any of the information directly, though. I guess it's better than just telling me.
We got a good grade on the project the day it was due. I thought Kamishiro would stop talking to me after that, but he came up to me during lunch.

"Tenma, would you like to eat lunch with me and my friends?"

"Hm? Sure... but why did you ask me? You could've asked anyone else here."

"Well, because you're a good person. And I also wanted to talk more, so..."

He got a bit quiet saying that last sentence. It made me chuckle.

"Alright, lead the way."

It was then that I realized I had chuckled. Genuinely. Someone made me laugh, even if it was quietly.

Maybe it's worth hanging out with Kamishiro.

He introduced me to his friends. They were nice. Well, one of them was really nervous. Kamishiro said she got like that around new people, and that she'd be able to talk more over time.

I hoped I'd still be friends with them to see that.

Time.

Time passed.

It passed faster than I had ever seen.

And we were still friends. We were young adults in the real world, busy with our own stuff. And miraculously, we were still the best of friends with each other. We met others, grew closer, and I may have even developed some feelings for Rui. But...

I'm scared. I don't want to ruin what we have. Even if he liked me back. We might break up and never speak again. I don't want that. Speaking to his friends would be awkward, too. You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take... but I think I might be willing to miss this one. It hurts, but rejection would hurt more. I think.

Maybe in the future. I think I should let a bit more time pass. But time is moving faster than I've ever felt it move before. So I'm scared that I'll miss it. Miss him. Yknow?

Sometimes, keeping quiet is a solution.

883 words.