end of the school year (oneshot)

Rui's pov:

I can't believe it. It's already ending. Time's flown by so fast, huh? I've made many great friends this year. Tsukasa, Nene, Emu, Mizuki, Toya, and Saki all accept me for who I am.

They don't treat me like a social outcast or make me feel out of place because of my ideas. Instead, they encourage them. They've been so great to me. I just wish I didn't have to lose them.

My family is military, so we have to move around a lot. It's hard for me to make friends because everyone always ignores me or leaves me out, claiming that I'm not normal.

"What's wrong with you, Rui?!"

...

This is the first time I've made friends after moving somewhere new. The next place my family is moving to is our last. I've been begging my father to retire here, but he's never given me a definite answer.

I know I have everyone's contact info, I know I could just call them, but that's not the same. It's not the same as hanging out with each other after school every day. It's not the same as making plans to go to a summer festival. It's not the same as waiting for your friends to get back from their summer camp to go out and do karaoke.

It's just not the same.

And I really, truly wish we could have more time together, but that's not how the world works. You can't just wish really hard for something and get it. Sometimes, even if you work super hard for results, you don't even get them.

Being lonely is hard, but saying goodbye is harder. I can't help but wonder... if I never made friends with them, would leaving be so hard?

But if they weren't my friends...

...

"Mom, am I different from everyone?"

.......

I don't want to, I can't imagine that.
Tears were poking at the corner of my eyes...

"RUI!"

...when I heard an abundance of very familiar voices screaming my name all at once.

I turned around to see everyone running at me, Nene falling to the ground as she was the first to get to me, Tsukasa, a close second. By the time Nene had gotten up, everyone caught up and was panting really hard. I waited until they caught their breath to ask my question.

"Guys, what are you doing here? I thought you guys would be home by now, doing your own thing now that our last day of school is over..."

"Of course not, silly."
*literally fucking punches rui's arm*

"Ow! Mizuki..."

"Sorry! Anyways, we all wanted to give you a going away gift. We have to go get our gifts, so everyone else will give you theirs first!"

Mizuki ran off, pulling Emu and Tsukasa with them. I guess they had a big surprise, huh?

Nene stepped forward. She was the first person I made friends with here.

"I never knew how to thank you enough for making Robo-Nene for me. You even taught me how to take care of and repair her. This was the most I could pull together, so I hope you like it...!"

She pulled out a piece of paper and put it in my hands. As I read over it, it seemed to be lyrics for a song.

"Emu and Tsukasa also helped me put that together... is it okay?"

"It's more than okay. I love it. Thank you."

I got up to hug her. I could feel the tears from before beginning to well up in my eyes, but I was able to blink them back.