TEN

Xavier

I sat in my home office staring down at the papers in front of me, it was a note I got minutes after I got home.

'You started a war. The truce is over'

I looked down at the severed finger sitting in the box in front of me. I knew killing Carlos would come to bite me in the ass. The Russo's took one of my good men, Marcus, earlier in the day. It had been reported back to me he was taken off 38th street, I knew this was his finger in front of me. The tattoo of an X was there, all men on my side had one, it was mandatory for each member of my family to have this tattoo. Marcus had his on his finger that is how it was so clear who they had taken. The Russo's were just as dangerous as my family, we were both from the same part of Italy and were always fighting over territory in New York.

I knew killing Carlos would have consequences but this soon I was not expecting. This war was always upcoming, it just so happened I fired the first bullet.

Christian Russo was the leader of his family. Just a few months older than me, when our family first moved to the city 40 years back the Russo's and Cavalini's were family friends. I grew up with Christian, he was a good friend for many years. It was only when his father betrayed mine, got him shot. Since that day 10 years ago I hadn't spoken a word to Christian Russo, he was my closet friend for a time, but no one messes with your family.

We were forced into a truce when the FBI where all over both of us. We agreed none of our men touch a Russo as long as they keep their hands off our men.

I broke that truce when I shot Carlos, if it wasn't him, it would be me.

The weaker man lost.

"X?" I hear the timid voice of Sam. He was just a little kid, 17 years old. He had wanted to be a part of our business for a while. His mother, my sister, didn't want him to be a part of anything at all. She was a part of this world and knew how it worked, she was attempting to protect her son.

I raise my head to look at him, he kept his eyes on the floor at nearly all times. He would never look at me directly in the eyes. I closed the box that held my reminder that the Russo's had one of my men.

"Yes Sam" I say, his eyes dart up to meet mine quickly before they drop to the floor once again.

He quickly takes a seat opposite me twiddling with his fingers. He was a shy kid, not really made for this world. I see why Rosa wanted to keep Sam from this world, he was a nice kid and deserved better than a target on his back because of his last name.

"Mommà said that Marcus got taken, is that true?"

I can't help but sigh as his words. Rosa was not nearly as sly as she thought. I knew her and Marcus were fucking, they had been for at least two years now. She was in love with him, and he always looked out for Sam, I hadn't stepped in because he was a good man. He didn't deserve what was happening to him.

"Yes, Sam I am afraid so, but I have everyone out looking for him"

"He's going to die, isn't he?"

I did underestimate him, he wasn't stupid. He was aware of the risks.

"Not if we work fast"

Finally, his eyes meet mine directly, he looked at me with passion in his eyes like a fire had been lit.

"I want to help"

Instantly I begin to shake my head. Not only was he a kid but Rosa would never forgive me if I let Sam fight in any way. He was a kid; he hadn't been trained like me and Luca. Rosa had made sure he stayed protected from that life.