SIX

Grace

I had made my way back into work on the following night after Xavier followed me home. I had known he was following me the second we got into the subway. I had a great sense of being followed, living in cities all my life meant that I was always aware of men that could be following me.

I was working an earlier shift today so would be finishing relatively early, I spent my Wednesday's with Hendy doing inventory and stocking everything up. As he was getting older now it became harder for him to get low into the drink refrigerators as well as carrying heavy stock.

With my hands full I push through the doors before placing a stack of drinks on the bar top as Hendy follows with a smaller number of bottles.

I have to give it to the man he still tries.

Crouching down onto the floor I begin stocking up as Hendy hands me the bottles before I place them into order.

"X called me after your shift" Hendy says as I shoot my head up looking at him with a frown covering my face. If I was being honest, I hadn't stopped thinking about him with his sharpened jaw and bright blue eyes, the way his hands had touched me outside the subway and down the alley. My head had gone to inappropriate places, I had imagined his hands in my hair, gripping my ass.

"What did he say?" I ask attempting to keep all bad thoughts out of my head. I had never thought of a customer the way I think of him. No matter if it's a bar job or not thinking of a customer in such a manor was completely out of line.

"He said your service was impeccable, he even expressed interest of a second hire out for week"

"What? Really" I exclaim, I couldn't believe that he would need more than one day a week to discuss whatever it was they spoke of last night. I didn't listen in to a thing, but it seemed like a lot of numbers that bored the hell out of me.

Perhaps getting closer to him wasn't such a bad idea.

"Nothing as of yet, he just asked if it was to happen that you could be the one working the bar?"

He had done nothing but insult me and my bar work yesterday, so I was confused as to why he was being so insistent of me working behind the bar again let alone for a whole extra day.

"Well yeah sure" I agree.

I had finished early and after a ride from Hendy I arrived back at my place. I expected to be greeted by Robert, but he never came out from his office.

I got into my apartment and kicked off my shoes before laying on the couch.

My feet hurt bad from standing and rushing around all day and night. I had been a hard worker forever, but this job just made me feel ten times more exhausted and I didn't even know why.

I grabbed my phone and called up my best friend, Jamie. She had been my rock since moving here 3 months ago. I had met her in a bar on one of my first nights here in New York, she had been the only girl on top of the bar when I met her. She made me feel free, I wasn't the type of girl that drunk crazy amounts and did stupid things.

I was sensible and the entire way through high school I was known as boring, I was never invited anywhere. If I was honest, it never bothered me at all, I focused on my studies and did all I could to score a great job.

Of course, now I was working in a bar for practically no money. But it was all for the greater good. I was promised a promotion if I bring down the Cavalinis.

"Hello?" I hear Jamie through the phone. I felt a smile creep on my face just hearing her.

"What are you doing tonight?" I ask her, I could tell she was beaming through the other end of the phone.