THIRTEEN

THIRTEENQUESTIONS

THIRTEEN
QUESTIONS

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

CASSANDRA WOKE UP WITH A SMALL GASP. she immediately sat up, her hand running through her hair. she looked around at her surroundings, trying to figure out where she was. cassandra sighed, calming down as soon as she realized she was in chicago. her body was sore, she could barely move herself out of the comfortable bed. the woman blinked rapidly, glancing over at the city from the window. she stood up, looking out at chicago with a small smile. 

cassandra always wanted to have a life like this. she wanted a big house, with kids, and a dog. she wanted to have a normal life, where her family was still alive, and she didn't have these abilities. she wanted to go to school, and get a nice job, and find a man to love and marry. all of her dreams were just dreams, she knew they would never happen. who would love someone like her? she couldn't just pack up and leave the country, her past would find her. finding someone new would ultimately lead to cassandra losing them because of the past haunting her, finding a way to ruin her life whenever it got a chance.

the woman opened up her bedroom door, walking down the hallway to see jason and dick on the couch, pictures laid out on the table. they didn't notice cassandra standing there, making her cross her arms. "i know these people... i worked with them at haley's circus." dick stated as cassandra cleared her throat. dick and jason both turned around, their eyes wide as cassandra looked at the pictures clearly. they were all dead, killed in brutal ways. cassandra's mouth dropped slightly, walking over to the table.

"what the hell happened?" cassandra asked softly, sitting down next to dick as she looked at the pictures even more. "he burns them with hydrofluoric acid." she stated making jason look at her, "i've seen some things."

"calling card of the maroni crime family." jason added. "harvey dent, your parents..."

"i know. tony zucco worked for the maronis when he killed my parents. but they were put away years ago." dick explained as cassandra leaned back, not understanding what all of this was about. she knew dick's parents were killed, she had no idea how, where, and why. dick never talked about it, so this was all new to her.

"why'd he do it?" jason asked, listening carefully.

"haly owed the maronis protection money. couldn't come up with the cash. so my parents paid the debt with their lives." dick explained making jason and cassandra both look at each other. cassandra was familiar with people getting revenge on her family, she remembered numerous times where her father was almost killed because of his actions. her mother always warned him to stop what he was doing (to this day cassandra has no idea), but he always insisted as he kissed her on the head that everything was going to be okay. cassandra remembered she hated her dad for days after she awoke in the hospital, after all, this was all of his fault. she remembered the look on his face as the doors flew open, like this was finally it- he just didn't think it would cost the rest of his family.