FOUR

FOURTHE DEVIL

FOUR
THE DEVIL

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

CASSANDRA NEVER BELIEVED THAT THERE WAS A GOD. after her family was brutally slaughtered, she always thought 'why would he do that to me?' and just simply decided, there wasn't one out there. every church would invite cassandra, just to grieve her family, and talk about the afterlife. cassandra always declined with a smile, saying how she didn't need to grieve and she wanted to move on. she always tried to avoid nuns, who always tried to cleanse her in holy water and tell her 'he's always with you'

here she was, sitting in a church looking at her phone. her feet were up on the seat in front of her, making the brown stained with dirt and mud. cassandra was sitting next to dick, who stayed quiet the whole time. ahead was rachel, who hasn't said a word since the parking lot. she scrolled endlessly on her phone, waiting to leave this hellhole. dick got up and went to sit by rachel. cassandra groaned, putting her feet down and blowing a bubble in her gum. she walked out of the church to walk straight into a nun.

"sorry." cassandra mumbled, trying to move past her.

"god is with her." she spoke, very monotone. cassandra gave a tight-lipped smile, trying to walk away but the nun stopped her again. cassandra actually didn't know if it was a nun, or a sister- she just called them nuns, saved her any trouble and embarrassment. "come with me, i have something to show you."

"no, thank you though." cassandra replied quickly, sensing something was off.

"no, i insist."

cassandra gulped as the nun turned and walked, expecting cassandra to follow. she looked at the church doors, knowing she could scream bloody murder and dick would not hesitate to run through them. cassandra hesitated, turning to walk back in, but the nun turned around giving cassandra a sweet smile. cassandra followed the nun with a small curse, noticing how the nun walked urgently.

as they walked, the hallway grew darker. there was less lights, less doors, less people. cassandra stopped, realizing what was ahead was a room cell. she immediately turned around, but the nun appeared in front of her. the nuns face started to melt into the one person she did not want to see. blackout. "miss me?" he mocked, stabbing cassandra in the gut.

"shit." cassandra fell back, but she stayed on her feet when she tried to send an energy blast his way. it didn't work, nothing coming out of her hand.

"there's nothing for you to use down here, you're powerless." he swiped at cassandra's face, causing her to dodge it, drop kicking him. he fell to the ground, pulling on cassandra's arm making her fall on him. they both immediately scrambled off of each other, cassandra feeling blood oozing from her wound. cassandra and blackout looked at each other, both glaring daggers being shot there way. 

cassandra cursed to herself before, throwing a punch across his face. blackout stepped back, disappearing in thin air. the next thing cassandra knew she was being thrown into the room. she was smacked against the wall, landing on the concrete. she cried out in pain, holding her stomach. cassandra looked at blackout, who stood at the door with a smile, "no one will ever find you in time, you'll die down here, alone." cassandra watched as he started to close the door, she got up and ran to the door as fast as she could. he shut it as soon as she reached the handle. 

"no, no, no!" cassandra banged on the door, screaming as loud as she could. she kept banging and banging, trying to use the strength she had left. when she realized no one was coming, she sat down, leaning against the door. she grabbed her phone, but there was no signal, and for some reason it was at 1%. "fuck."

cassandra shut her eyes, her head throbbing. her body began to numb, ready to give out. cassandra shook her head, she was not going to die. she stood, looking at the blood on the ground. she looked at the small, small window up in the corner. it was the only light she had, and she hoped it would be enough. cassandra raised her hand into the light, watching as the cut on her hand began to heal. her legs began to wobble, and she fell straight after. cassandra groaned, trying to heal her stomach, but it didn't work. "i dont want to die." she whispered to herself.

flashes of her family went through her mind. how her father stood in front of her mother, screaming at the men to let them go. she remembered so clearly how he fell, blood splattering on cassandra's face. she remembered how she held her younger sister, telling her they were going to be okay. cassandra had never seen that much blood at such a young age. she remembered her aunts and uncles trying to escape, running towards the doors and banging on them. cassandra remembered hiding in a secret compartment that she had found in her home when she was younger. 

when her mother started to scream, it was cut off quickly. cassandra could remember so quickly the dead eyes that stared in her direction. the men shot their guns at everyone, not caring if they were babies or elderly. no one could fight back, they had nothing considering it was christmas. everyone had left their weaponry in their cars, trusting the guards that ended up turning on them anyway. cassandra could remember how much blood was on her, it wasnt even hers. 

suddenly cassandra snapped out of her memory, realizing that she was actually dying. the room began to shake, causing the brunette to stand up. rachel. cassandra ran to the door, banging on the metal with screams. "dick!" she screamed, not even realizing. she hoped that somehow dick could hear her, but then she realized... maybe he left her. maybe this was his way of killing her, leaving her to die by herself. 

cassandra could hear a loud scream, then a blast. cassandra could see fire heading her way from the crack of the door. "fuck me." she mumbled before the door flew off the hinges, cassandra flying against the wall. fire spread in her room, making cassandra immediately stand up. she knew she wouldn't get hurt from the fire, considering how she started to absorb it. cassandra knew the fire wouldn't heal her though, only light, water, and her plants. the brunette ran through the hallways, she was running as fast as she could. cassandra ran up the stairs, the stairs collapsing as soon as she reached the top. cassandra felt herself fall, causing her to grab on whatever she could.

cassandra hung, gripping onto whatever she was holding tightly. the smoke made her vision blurry, and her head hazy. cassandra felt weak, she couldn't pull herself up. cassandra groaned, using her strength to get back up on the platform. she felt blood in her mouth, one of the signs she was probably about to die. cassandra ran out of the door right before another part exploded, fire spreading everywhere. she fell on the grass, coughing and spitting out the blood. 

"cass!" someone yelled as cassandra rolled onto her back. she groaned as she felt the grass begin to grow in plants around her. they wrapped around her stomach, slowly healing her. cassandra looked to see dick grayson running towards her, his face filled with fear. "cassie!" cassandra could feel him grab onto her shoulders, "cassandra, wake up."

cassandra groaned, her eyes slowly opening as her wound healed. her plants were dying, so she knew it wasnt fully healed. "i'm awake." dick sighed in relief as cassandra rubbed her eyes. he didn't let go of her shoulder, however, causing cassandra to look straight at him. "i'm fine." she shrugged him off of her, sitting up on the grass. 

"where's rachel?" fuchsia asked. 

"hell if i know, fuchsia."

"what?" dick asked, looking at cassandra, who just stared at the building.

"my names kory."

cassandra gave her a look, "i think fuchsia, is a better name." cassandra stood up, feeling dizzy so dick grabbed her arm. she looked around at the firetrucks and ambulances, trying to find blackout in the crowd. cassandra swallowed uncomfortably, not noticing dicks hand wrapped around her arm. 

"i fucking hate men."