TEN

TENCHICAGO

TEN
CHICAGO

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

SITTING ON THE CURB, CASSANDRA JUST STARED AT A PUDDLE. underneath her boots as she shifted was the glass from the broken car just next to her. her hands shook with slight fear, her mind running, and her eyes just dead. her body was numb, blood stained her clothes, and some still dripped down on the ground. she ran her stained bloody hand through her hair, a small shaky sigh escaping her mouth. she waited for everyone to come outside after she blew up in stress. her body began betraying her, cassandra wasn't supposed to be scared, and she definitely wasnt supposed to be a crybaby.

a hand was placed on cassandra's shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze. she looked up, tears in her eyes to see dick grayson standing there. his face showed worry, but his slight smile tried to cover it up. "mind if i sit?" he asked, sitting down before cassandra could reply. his hand never left her shoulder, however, causing cassandra to scoot slightly away from him. 

the night was quiet, not much traffic on the highway, and it was just quiet. the tension between cassandra and dick could be cut through with a knife, their wondering eyes meeting each other with such sadness. "what's happening to me?" cassandra asked, breaking the silence. she rested her chin on her knee, pulling her legs closer to her body. surprisingly, nothing hurt. she still had cuts and bruises, but they didn't hut. "why is my sister alive? i watched her die dick!" cassandra looked over at him, and for once, dick grayson had no idea.

his mind raced through millions of ideas, he could take her to central city to visit star labs where they deal with this stuff every day. he knew cassandra would hate it, so that quickly disappeared. he couldn't make eye contact with the pleading girl, what was happening to her? he scratched his forehead in confusion making cassandra look away from him. "we will figure it out cass, you know that-"

"i almost died!" cassandra exclaimed, standing up abruptly. dick immediately stood up after her, grabbing her wrist, "what if rachel wasn't around, my plants didn't do shit!" her voice was raising in anger and sadness. cassandra felt helpless, she used to be feared, now she feared herself. "and my sister is alive, and i have no idea where she is-"

dick just stood there, letting cassandra take out her anger on him. instead of hitting him like she used to, she just huffed and crossed her arms. suddenly kory, rachel, and gar all walked out making dick walk over to them. they asked if dick knew batman, and all of the superhero shit that cassandra didn't care about.

after a few minutes dick grabbed cassandra, who just paced back and forth, ignoring the conversation. "we are going to chicago." dick stated making cassandra raise an eyebrow. she opened her mouth to argue, but the look in dick's eye made her stop and just follow him to the car. kory walked over to them as cassandra got in the passenger seat, she insisted she went, but dick shut that down quickly, adding a 'no killing' rule.