𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬 || 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐱 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

rain and mountain <3

requested by 0_Meliora_0

angst? fluff? idk but its something (mentions of death though)

659 words

 Mountain didn't know when they started. Or why. But they kept happening. Vivid nightmares of his pack getting taken away from him plagued his dreams. First it was Zephyr. Then it was Swiss. Cumulus was next. The rest was a blur after the first few. It happened so often he couldn't even remember who was taken, just that someone was gone and he couldn't do anything about it. After the first few, he dealt with them on his own, not wanting to burden his pack with his silly dreams. But something was different about this one.

The beginning of the night was normal. He played uno with his pack. Helped make sure Sodo didn't burn the whole ministry down after Rain beat him. Followed Rain to his room to watch a movie. Then fell asleep. It wasn't any different than his nightly routine since he had his last nightmare. He never got nightmares when he slept with his pack. First was Aether. Then was Cumulus. Then Sodo. After that there was no particular order. But he never slept alone anymore, fearing the nightmares would come back. So why was this night different? It wasn't like he hadn't slept with Rain before.

Mountain shot up in bed, a sheen of sweat covering his shaking body. His eyes scanned the room frantically, still seeing what he had done in his mind. A choked sob escaped his lips. They were never like this before. Why were they like this now? He wove his hands through his hair, pulling harshly. Salty tears streamed down his face, mingling with the sweat that had accumulated there already. A cold hand gently touched his back. Mountain screamed.

"Woah, it's just me." Rain sat up in bed, moving to sit in front of Mountain.

"No, no no no no no, you aren't real, stop lying to me!" Mountain's voice was rushed and full of panic. His watery eyes landed on Rain's, full of concern and slight fear.

"I'm right here, Mounty, I promise."

"No no no, I killed you, you're dead!" Mountain sobbed again, wrapping his arms around his knees. Rain brushed the hair out of his face, cupping his cheek gently.

"Look at me." Rain voice was gentle. Mountain slowly lifted his head up, looking at Rain. None of this is real. He's dead. You killed him. You killed him with your own hands.

"You didn't kill me, I'm not dead," Rain assured. He wiped the tears off Mountain's face.

"But I–"

–"It was a dream, love, it was all a dream." Mountain searched Rain's face for any sign of a lie. No flushed ears. He wasn't avoiding eye contact. In fact, he was looking at him like he hung the stars. Mountain sniffled and fell into Rain's comforting embrace. Rain planted a kiss right between his horns, further convincing Mountain that this wasn't fake. He didn't kill Rain. He was here and alive.

"I'm sorry," Mountain mumbled into Rain's chest.

"For what?"

"I woke you up because I had some stupid dream." Rain brought Mountains face up to look into his eyes.

"I don't care if you woke me up, I care about you." Rain gently kissed the tip of his nose. Another tear slipped down Mountain's cheek, only to get brushed away by Rain.

"Even if I was in a coma I'd wake up for you." Mountain buried his face into Rain's chest, muffling his cries. Rain gently rubbed his back, letting him get all of his feelings out. He would do anything for the beanpole. He'd jump off a cliff he asked him to. He'd even drink holy water if that meant getting to be by his side.

"Thank you," Mountain whispered, tightening his grip around Rain's waist. Rain kissed the top of his head, right between the bases of his horns.

"Anytime, love." Mountain melts further into Rain's embrace. He might have to stay with Rain more often when he has nightmares.