Chapter 1

MYA

I'm living in hell; that's all I can say.

"Mya, we need to get up," says Anya, my wolf, through our mind link.

I sigh; I slide up the bed and rest against the headboard.

"Do I have to go in?" I ask her, feeling defeated at the thought of facing Laura and Libby's bullying every day.

"I know you don't want to, but Jamie is taking you today," she says as she looks at me with her purple eyes.

I grunt. "Why is he taking me, anyway? He never does," I say.

I'm a 17-year-old werewolf living on her own, but I have an older brother and an absent father who visit now and then.

I look towards the photo on my bedside table, the only one I have of her as the fire took the rest. The woman looking back at me was my mum. She died in a house fire six years ago. I was the one who was with her. I even got the burn scars to prove it, and they go up both my arms.

I look down at my arms and see the heightened scars going up my arm. They look hideous. I always wear long-sleeved tops to cover them. My wolf tried to heal them, but she couldn't. I needed medical help, but no one came. No one did.

A tear slides down my face.

"We will be ok, Mya. We got each other," she says as she sends some love through.

All werewolves first shift when they are ten, but I shifted earlier than that when a rogue came onto the pack land near our home and went after my mother. My mother was weak and in pain due to what my father did. The rogue was about to slice her throat, but I shifted into Anya right in front of him. She killed him instantly. I remember when I shifted back, my mother, looking stunned, told me never to show my true wolf form unless I have to.

Anya and I normally shift late at night when everyone is asleep. Living on your own does have some perks.

I slowly get out of bed and make my way to the bathroom. I had a quick cold shower, as that is all I have, and dressed quickly in a pair of black skinny jeans, a long-sleeved top, sneakers, and an oversized hoodie.

When I headed down the stairs, everything was still black and burned after the fire. I still live in the house since the fire. My father and Jamie tried to move me into the pack house, but my room was in the basement. My father told me I was not worthy of a bedroom in the house. I kept running away until they never came searching. They both knew where I was. They never bothered.

I look around and notice I have nothing to eat again.

I sigh.

I am getting used to this now, but I know I got to work after school for two hours while all the other wolves are training. I clean the offices in the pack house, which are only three of them, but there is a lot to do. I don't stay for over two hours. Otherwise, people will taunt me, even my father. Jamie used to, but he cared a little over the last three years.

I grab my school bag and head to the door. Only Jamie is standing there with a smile on his face. "Hey Mya, you ready to go to school?" He asked me while taking my bag from me.

I say nothing but nod.

I never talk to anyone.

I turn to close the door, but Jamie suddenly remembers, "Oh wait, I got some more clothes for you. Some of the other wolves were throwing them out. You should have a look and see what you like. Some might be nice on you," he says. He places the bag through the door and looks around like he usually does.