Chapter Thirty Four 🦋

Val's POV:

"I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world." Rick began, as he stood on the back of a flat top trailer. I stayed beside Daryl, holding my own crossbow in my hands getting ready for anything just in case. I know Rick and Daryl weren't happy with me tagging along, wanting to be involved in, I know I'm risking my unborn child's life by doing this. But I just felt like I needed to be out here for some odd reason. I just had a weird feeling that I couldn't explain. "We have to come for them before they come for us. It's that simple."

I could hear the snarls. The sounds they make. It was echoing. "This is where it all starts tomorrow. Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit and we're off."

"He hops out, catches up with his team at red staying on the west side of the road."

"Daryl and Val gets on his bike..." Just at that moment, I could hear rumbling. rumbling that echoed throughout the quarry. I snapped my head in the direction of the sound. "You see that?" Sasha called out, pointing to where I was already looking, now getting everyone else's attention towards it. "Oh shit." was all I muttered, watching as the truck began to give way. something that shouldn't happen. it was going to screw up our entire plan. "There it goes." I mumbled under my breath as the truck began to fall, the ground beneath it collapsed. I grabbed Daryl by his arm immediately. I knew it was now or never. I was just waiting for our cue. "We gotta do this now!" Rick yelled.

Everyone scrambled, everything Rick was saying became a blur. "Sunshine get to the bike." I heard Daryl instruct. I didn't even question it, I just followed his directions. going straight for the bike, pulling my crossbow over my shoulder aiming in the same direction as he was just I was sitting on the back of the bike. I could hear the flares go up in the air. everyone running. Sasha and Abraham taking off in their car. God this was going to be a fucking shitshow.

I shot an arrow, watching it go straight through the head of a walker that was behind the one Daryl had killed. "Dare Baby! Time to go!" I called out, watching him instantly turn around and sprint for the bike. revving it the moment he started it up. I immediately wrapped my arms around his waist, getting myself as close to him as I could possibly bring myself.

♢♢

"Here baby," I muttered, handing Daryl his share of the dinner I had made for him and the man he brought back with Aaron. Morgan. Rick knew him, at the beginning. saved him even. I was more than grateful for the stranger I am only just now getting to meet and thank him for saving my brother. "Thank you sunshine." Daryl mumbled back, immediately digging into his food. I could only imagine how hungry he must've been for a decent meal. I planted a kiss on his temple before I left to go wash up the dishes I had made.

"You were right." I hear Morgan say, I look back from the sink seeing the man look at my brother. what could rick possibly be right about? "It wasn't over." he continued.

"We should talk more tomorrow." Rick stated, placing down what he had been holding on to. which only appeared to be the map, Morgan had brought with him. The map that Abraham gave to my brother. "Listen..."

"I don't take chances anymore."

"And you shouldn't." Morgan added. I had walked back to stand beside Daryl, rubbing my belly comfortably. something I seemed to do quite a bit, but I just couldn't help it.

♢♢

"You all have your assignments." I hear Rick's voice come over the walkie talkie. "You all know where to rendezvous."

"Daryl and Val leads them out."

"Sasha and Abraham join them at the bottom of the hill."

"Glenn, you hit us when you take care of the walkers at the tractor place. that's the one thing we gotta get ahead of."

"everybody keep your heads. just keep up."

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Hearing every rushed beat as I laid my head against Daryl's back, keeping a tight grip around his waist. I knew I shouldn't be out here while I'm pregnant its too risky. I just wanted to help that's all I wanted. To. Just. Help.

♢♢

I could barely sleep, Deanna's screams last night replayed on my mind the moment I tried to fall asleep. I laid in Daryl's arms, revelling in the comfort he always brings me when I was close to him. "Morning beautiful." I hear Daryl greet, groggily. I looked up at him with tired eyes, noticing he looked just as tired as I mostly did. "Morning handsome." I muttered, tracing circles as I always did on Daryl's bare chest. "Ye alright?" I just shook my head lightly. I wasn't going to try and lie to the main person I received unconditional love from. "What's wrong darling?"

"Just everything from last night. Every bit. Keeps repeating itself over and over." I felt his fingers begin to run my long, brunette hair. It was his way of trying to comfort me. "the whole time I was wishing you were here. I even kept my hand on my bump until I spotted you."

"I was just thankful for Vanessa and Levi."

"I'm glad that they were there with ye too." He mumbled.

"I think maybe I should really get to know yer friends. What do ye think?" Daryl suggested, as he continued to run his fingers through my hair. "I think that's a great idea Dare."

"I know Ness would be very happy to hear that." I said with a small smile. "Hey baby?"

"yeah sunshine?"

"I've been thinking a lot about our baby and the pregnancy."

"Is somethin' wrong?"

"No Dare, it's just I think we might need to consider the possibility that we might be having more than one baby. That's all."

"what do ye mean?" He questioned, not understanding what I was trying to tell him. "I mean, that I think it might be twins..."

"Twins?"

"Yeah Dare, twins. I don't know for sure but what I do know is that this pregnancy is different, and I don't mean because of the world we're living in."

"I can just feel the difference Dare, especially when bub decides to move. It's like it's two not one. I know it sounds weird, but I don't know how to explain the feeling."

"Ye know yer body better than anyone Sunshine, I believe ye."

"I just think it's something we need to consider, so let's just keep it between us until we actually know."

♢♢