Chapter Twenty Three 🦋

Val's POV:

It was time to hit the road again, back on our way to Alexandria. Rick and Daryl wanted me in the RV, but I refused to be separated from them. I sat looking out the window for a while, thinking about it all. The community, the people, the baby, Daryl and I. There have been times where I contemplated that maybe Daryl and I were too different to each other. Maybe I was just fooling myself like I did with Shane. But I also had the gut feeling that I wasn't. I understand Daryl's worries, but I wished he didn't keep trying to push me away. If he loves me like he says he does, then why is he giving me the cold shoulder even after being okay with me again. He was on and off. Hot and cold. It bothered me. "Aunt Val?" Carl questioned, catching my attention.

"Hey bud, something wrong?" I asked, with slight worry that I tried to mask. "What do you think the baby will be? A boy or a girl? Cause I think it'll be a girl." Carl asked with curiosity written in his voice along with a hint of excitement. "Oh, um I think it might be a boy." I replied, giving a lot of thought into my answer.

"Nah, it's a girl." Daryl huffed, causing all of us especially Rick to erupt into laughter. First time in a long while.

**

We had to stop, only just over halfway there and something went wrong with the RV. It was a time like this that I wish Dale was still with us. He would know what to do. Daryl walked over to me the moment we got out the car to see what was going on, "I'm just goin' to keep watch sunshine," He stated, planting a kiss on my head before walking off to the RV, climbing to the top of it. "I guess I can't call you sunshine anymore huh," Rick chuckled.

"Yeah I guess not," I laughed.

"But I guess you were also the one that told him he could." Rick nodded his head in response. Sunshine was a nickname that only Rick could call me, it was something he had since we were little. I never knew why he called me it, and for a long time I hated it but at the same time it meant something to me. "Why'd you do that?" I questioned, referring to what I said only just before.

"Cause someone has to," He chuckled.

"Besides I got to pass the responsibility of annoying you with it to someone and seeing as Daryl has stepped up to the plate."

"So is this you saying that you're okay with me being with Daryl?" I asked, with puppy dog eyes and a pout on my lips. "Well since I'm about to be an uncle and all... yes this is me saying I'm okay with it." I instantly hugged him with a wide smile across my face. For the first time, I am hearing those few words leave my big brother's lips. It was something I've always wanted to hear from him.

**

Only a little while longer after we got the RV back on the road and we finally arrived. Daryl and I spent the rest of the ride in the RV. Both vehicles stopped, we got out and walked to the gate that was in front of us, I could hear children's laughter and my smile widen even more at the sound of it.

I stayed close to Daryl, not wanting to stray too far from him. I watched the gate open as we approached closer to it before we all came to a stop before it. A sound of rattling in the garbage can behind us set everyone on edge, guns pointing instantly in its direction. Only to be a possum, being the cause of the sound, as it jumped out tried to run, until Daryl shot it of course.

"We brought dinner." Daryl stated, after picking up the now dead possum. I shook my head in disbelief at him but still keeping my smile. Another man who clearly lived here at the community stood by the gate near Aaron, looking at us all with uncertainty. "Its okay." I heard Aaron say to reassure the man.

"Come on in, guys." Aaron instructed.

**