Chapter Twenty Seven 🦋

Val's POV:

It was already nightfall, by the time I was going to get ready. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go let alone without Daryl if he wasn't back before I left. "So do ye wanna go to this thing?" asked the southern accent I've been waiting to hear all day. I turned around to see Daryl, standing in the doorway, leaning up against the frame. "I mean I guess, everyone else is already there, plus I ran into an old friend of mine today. My best friend actually. She wanted me to bring you to it, wants to meet you." Daryl nodded his head as he took in the words I said to him.

"Well sunshine if yer wanna go then we'll go." Daryl stated.

"Okay, well I guess I should get ready then." I replied, watching Daryl find a nicer button up to wear, one that actually had sleeves still on it and left to change elsewhere.

I dug through my bag, soon coming across the blue dress I found a long time ago now. Back when we first hit the road again after the CDC. I was hoping with it not being my normal size I would maybe fit in it, I was just hoping to get lucky with it. And I did. It fit me just fine, and still with a little bit of room to it as the fabric had a bit of stretch to it luckily enough.

I got the zipper halfway until I left it for Daryl to zip it the rest of the way. I took my hair out of the single braid I had it in, letting it fall naturally, I found some old makeup I had stashed away in my bag, I only applied a light touch of makeup as well as a little bit of lip gloss to my lips. I pulled on the heels that Jessie gave me and buckled them. "Hey sunshine, are ye ready?" I heard Daryl ask from the other side of the door after he knocked lightly on it first. "Um yeah, I just need your help with the dress that's all." I replied, walking over to open the door.

The moment I did, I watched Daryl's eyes follow along every inch of my body, his jaw dropping the second he saw me. "Wow," He mumbled, breathlessly cause me to giggle at his reaction. "You don't scrub too bad yourself baby." I giggled, stepping up to plant a kiss on his cheek.

"When you're done, could you please help me zip up my dress?" I asked, snapping him back to reality. He nodded his head, as I turned around to allow him to have access to the zipper. He did what I had asked him to do then twirled me back around to face him. A wide, goofy smile on his face. "I guess we should get going then." I muttered.

**

The closer we got the more I felt that Daryl was second guessing it. We stopped a little bit away. I noticed him watching the house. I could the unsureness written all over his face. "Baby, we don't have to go if you don't want to." I muttered, in hopes to reassure him. "but yer all dressed up. It wouldn't be fair on ye if we don't go. What about yer friend?"

"Dare, it wouldn't be fair on you if I make you do something you don't want to. Besides I rather snuggle up in bed with you then attend the party. And Vanessa, she could always come by anytime to meet you."

"Baby, if you don't want to go, then we don't go. Simple as that." I repeated, placing my hand on his cheek in reassurance. He nodded his head, soon taking my hand from his face, holding it in his as we walked back to the house.

"Daryl, Val. Hey." I heard Aaron greet us, bringing our attention to him. "Thought you were going to that party over there." Daryl questioned, defensively. I could hear the slight bit of anger in his voice. So I held onto his hand a little bit tighter, lightly tracing my other hand up and down his arm for comfort. "Oh, I was never going to go cause of Eric's ankle, thank god."

"Why the hell did you tell me to go, then?"

"I said try. You did. It's a thought that counts thing."

"All right." Daryl muttered, turning back as though to continue on our way. "hey, come in. Have some dinner. Wouldn't want Val's dress to go to waste."