184

Linda clung to Charlie’s legs, tears streaming down her cheeks. “Charlie, can you truly be happy with. someone as hot–tempered as her? I can make you happier, can’t I? I love you more than anyone else, and I’ve never lost my temper at you…”

H

Julia’s anger boiled within her, causing her eyes to well up with tears. However, her pride prevented her from shedding them in front of her love rival.

She refused to stoop so low as to seek her husband’s sympathy through such a despicable tactic.

The tension in the living room was palpable, thick with an impending sense of explosion.

The air crackled with intensity as if it were on the verge of igniting into an inferno.

Inside the room. Christina’s desperation grew as she frantically pounded on the door, hoping to draw

someone’s attention.

Alas, the escalating fight in the living room drowned out the pounding sounds she made, rendering her

efforts futile.

Christina’s heart felt like it was about to leap out of her throat as she finally understood what Linda’s words.

meant.

Linda used me to trick Dad into coming here.

Christina pounded on the door with all her might.

She persisted in her attempts to break down the door, pounding on it relentlessly until her wrists grew swollen and painful. However, despite her best efforts, the door remained unyielding, not even showing a hint of damage or giving way.

Christina felt an overwhelming urge to rush out of the room and caution Julia against believing Linda’s words blindly.

Dad came here for my safety. He didn’t come here to celebrate Linda’s birthday. Who can relay this message to Mom? Christina’s gaze swept over the room and landed on a small wooden chair.

She hesitated briefly before heading over to pick up the chair.

Charlie extended his arm to hold Julia, but the moment he reached out, she slapped his hand away icily.

“Charlie, it must’ve been hard for you to put up an act in front of me!”

Linda raised her hand to wipe away her tears as a smug grin played on her lips.

Yes, that’s it. Fight. As long as Julia doesn’t want Charlie anymore, I can take the opportunity to strike.

Inwardly, she was pleased by how things turned out the way she wanted.

Charlie was stumped as he was stuck between both women.

He glanced at Linda, and then at Julia who looked disappointed with him. It felt like his heart had been stabbed both ways.

He realized that if he didn’t clarify things with Julia that day, her trust in him would be irreparably damaged.

“Julia, listen to me. I came here because Linda kept Christina confined here. I had to come here to investigate and resolve the situation,” he explained, feeling compelled to reveal the truth in order to clear up the misunderstanding-

Julia froze in her tracks and gave him a baffled look. She still seemed doubtful despite hearing his explanation.

Realizing that the situation was slipping out of her control, Linda tightly gripped Charlie’s arm and pleaded, “Charlie, why won’t you tell her the truth? Using Christina as an excuse seems feeble, doesn’t it?”