135

Chapter 135 Leaving So Soon

As indecision set in upon Charlie, the sight of the heavy rain outside did make him feel like staying.

“Can’t you just call the driver to pick you up?” Julia commented abruptly, plunging the warm atmosphere that had just begun to build into an icy abyss.

Her response caused cold sweat to break out across Christina’s forehead. Shouldn’t she be trying to get him to stay? Why is she trying to kick him ost?

“It’s dangerous to drive in such inclement weather,” Christina advised softly.

Seemingly adamant about being uncooperative, Julia disagreed, “He no longer has a room here. If he wants to stay, he’ll have to sleep in the living room.”

The hostile attitude she displayed dampened the spirits of everyone present.

The infuriated Charlie let out an exasperated snort. Do you really want me to leave that much? In that case, I’ll stay just to spite you.

“This is the Hadley residence. I can come and go as I please. The master bedroom is mine.”

With that, he headed upstairs directly.

Watching the fuming silhouette disappear, Christina suddenly felt as if her plan had strangely succeeded.

At the same time, Julia gave Christina a complicated look, one that the latter couldn’t decipher.

“Let’s go home.”

Nathaniel took Christina’s hand and headed for the door. He knew that she wanted to mend his parents’ relationship but was also aware of what a thankless task it was.

Cognizant of her good intentions, he gave her head a gentle tousle. “Don’t worry about them.”

The next day, Charlie emerged from the master bedroom and had breakfast before going back to Yeatder Villa.

The moment he returned, Linda welcomed him excitedly. “Charlie, why didn’t you call or come home last night?”

She almost wanted to barge into the Hadley residence and bring him back out of desperation.

Charlie, who was in a good mood, was annoyed at being questioned by her. “My phone’s battery went dead last night. The rain was also too heavy for me to leave.”

“Did you spend the night at the Hadley residence?” Linda felt as if the fortress she had built around her was under attack.

D*mn it. All these years, Charlie would not stay overnight at the Hadley residence even if he went back. Was it something Christina said or some trick Julia employed?

“That’s my home. What’s the big deal about staying the night there?” Charlie snapped.

His displeasure reminded Linda that she had overreacted. Suppressing her temper at once, she leaned into his arms. “I was scared when you didn’t come home last night. Do you know how terrifying the

thunder was?”

Charlie was slightly stunned before patting her on the shoulder. “It was only for one night.”

“You don’t have to explain. I trust you. I’m sure you haven’t had breakfast yet. I’ll get the kitchen to prepare something.” Linda suggested with a smile as she headed toward the kitchen.

Regardless of the burning questions she had, she knew that asking them would be futile.

Men hated it when women didn’t trust them. Even if Charlie had rekindled his feelings for Julia or felt guilty the night before, Linda was confident that behaving sensibly was the way to win his heart.

Julia still has to step up her game if she wants to take my man away from me.

Nonetheless, it was clear from the incident that Christina wasn’t on her side. As the latter had been putting in good words on Julia’s behalf, Linda knew she couldn’t drop her guard against her.

With that thought in mind, Linda gave Francis a call. Francis, Christina isn’t one to be trifled with. You had better stay vigilant against her.”

She proceeded to relate what happened the night before and twisted some of the facts. Regardless of what Christina’s intention was, Linda described her as someone who was trying to ruin their family.

Meanwhile, Christina entered the company’s tailor room and packed up the wedding gown she had prepared for Renee.

Now that the wedding gown Renee had been waiting with anticipation for was completed, she invited Christina to meet at the café below the latter’s office.

Christina proceeded downstairs once she was done. As the café was members-only, it was not crowded at all, allowing Christina to spot Renee by the window immediately.

The latter didn’t come alone, for there was a handsome man sitting right beside her.

Both of them were having a delightful conversation until Renee saw Christina. She then introduced the latter, “This is my designer, Christina Steele. I love her designs for their unique style.”

Thereafter, Christina handed Renee the wedding gown and two sets of men’s suits.

“I can’t wait to put them on,” Renee exclaimed in excitement.

The man beside her held her by the cheeks and planted a kiss on her lips. “You should save such a beautiful gown for your wedding day.”

The sight of how brazenly the couple was kissing in public caused Christina’s eyes to widen in shock.

“Aren’t you worried about betraying Francis?” Isn’t she getting married? Why is she still kissing another man? I can’t believe how liberal people in the entertainment industry are.

Renee’s brows furrowed in curiosity as she asked, “Betray Francis?”

What has our kiss got anything to do with Francis?

Blushing intensely, Christina gave them an awkward look. “You’re about to be married. Yet you’re kissing another man. Wouldn’t Francis be angry if he finds out?”

Renee and her husband were both stunned by the words. When they saw the embarrassed look on Christina’s face, it quickly dawned upon them what was going on.

Upon exchanging glances with each other, both of thein burst into hearty laughter. “Christina, I’m sure

idea.” you must have gotten the wrong

“Huh?”

The smiling Renee explained. “Mr. Headington here is my husband. Don’t you know him? The famous actor, Hansel Headington?”

As Hansel usually acted in historical dramas, he looked different in a modern-day setting. On top of that, Renee had never disclosed Hansel’s identity or picture during her wedding announcement.

Therefore, it was understandable for Christina to be confused.

“Francis is my best man. Since you know him, you should come and attend our wedding together with him.” Hansel invited.

The revelation dumbfounded Christina. Just a moment ago, she was worried that Francis would be sad about what happened. It turned out that it was all a misunderstanding on her part.

Just as her concerns were eased, her heart suddenly felt tense again.

The fact that Francis isn’t Renee’s husband means I’ve been ricked. No wonder Francis asked me to make two sets of suits. It turns out that one was for Hansel.

Renee subsequently asked, “Christina, what’s your relationship with Francis? Why do you look so concerned about him?”

“We’re just friends.” Christina’s cheeks were burning out of embarrassment. At that moment, she just wanted the ground to open up and swallow her whole,

“I’m going back to the office first. Feel free to let me know if there are any issues.” With that, Christina got up to leave.

Upon arriving at the door, a figure came out of nowhere and blocked her view. The faint scent of ambergris that the man exuded quickly dominated the area he was in.

“Leaving so soon?” Francis gave Christina a look of amusement.